1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Hdmi, Dvi Hdtv

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by thedude, Nov 1, 2004.

1. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,646
    Right then my fellow freaks of technology!
    Im looking for a new DVD player and have been exploring my options maybe a pioneer DV757, Denon 2910 or maybe an arcam 78
    Those are the tree ive been looking at, i want something thats going to have a good picture, im not to fussed about all the fornats under the sun. Ive been researchign hard into the HDTV and obviously we all know sky are doing this somewhen next yr or maybe the yr after knowing sky. But if i get a dvd player that has a HDMI output or a DVi output surely im not goin to be benefiting to much until HD-DVD comes out!
    let me know ur views.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    HDMI is a digital video (and audio - but that's not the point here) link which will work with a compatible display with an HDMI or DVI+HDCP input. It has the potential of offering better picture quality than analogue connections as at least one stage of D/A and A/D video conversion can be avoided, along with some video analogue amplification and filtering that may not be, shall we say, built to broadcast standard on most DVD players (Arcam is an exception here!).

However the resolution from DVD cannot be improved beyond the 480 or 576 active lines encoded on a standard DVD, even if the DVD player puts out a video signal to the HD 720p or 1080i standard (this scaling can in general be done just as well in the display anyway). so your question as to waiting for DH-DVD is not relevant in this context. Any new standard of disc will require an entirely new player.

Having said that the quality of most DVDs is excellent and a high end player will bring out the best in these - visually and sonically - so don't skimp if you can possibly avoid it.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +341
    I think whether you upgrade your dvd player know depends mainly on how frequently you are prepared to upgrade, (and how wealthy you are). As much as I would love to invest in a higher spec dvd, (having a Pan 85), I know that Blu-Ray could be released in the UK within 2 years, probably 2006, and that it will also record hi-def sky broadcats. Personally I'm hoping the format will adopt the 1920 by 1080p format. This would show a far more significant increase in PQ than a higher spec dvd player what with it being 4 times the resolution of dvd. That's what I'm saving my money for. :)