HDMI DVD Upscaler on ebay. review anybody? Link..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by radical1, Dec 24, 2006.

1. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  2. chris777uk

chris777uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers for the link mate, i want something that will do xvid and divx along with basically every disc type out there so even though it was unbranded the guy had great feedback about them so i thought i would give it a shot....

am i right in thinking the following? (off topic a bit i know)

PAL broadcast TV is resolution 766x578
    My norm DVD player would give same sort of output.
    My 40" LCD is native 1366x768

So am i right in thinking that the reason why i get some pixelling on TV etc is because the resolution is blown up onto a bigger screen?

Im new to all this but been researching google and this site and just wanna make sure that im thinking the correct things??

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    A HD Ready TV will upscale for you to match the 1366 x 768 off the TV. It will do this for everything that goes into the TV. I would expect that TV to be a lot better than a £30 upscaling player.

5. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Confused now - so the TV does the upscaling of any source? So why are people buying new DVD players ?

6. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    You've hit the nail on the head. The theory is that it will deliver a better picture, since it may have better scaling than your TV. However, since most players don't scale to the exact resolution of the screen it means the TV has to do some scaling itself. Most people seem to think you would have to buy a £500+ player to get any improvements in the scaling area from the player. Good mpeg decoding, and deinterlacing/processing is much more important ultimately.

7. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have bought the DVD upscaler and it should be delivered in a day or 2 - i will certainly put a review up about it.

To be honest i wish i had never bothered changing to an LCD large screen, its just giving me a headache.

When i play my old DVD movies i do get areas of pixelling, especially on films like twister where there is a lot of grey sky or green fields.... I was hoping the DVD upscaler would improve upon that.

I have a Sony Bravia 40" by the way so i take it i have as good a processor in the TV as most... LOL

8. Smurkenstein

Smurkenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Radical, I have an Oppo 981 attached to my 40X. It gives the sort of improvements Timbo is talking about, 1080p output. The Oppo gives a very excellent result and the 1080 deinterlacing is definitely noticeably better than the X's built in. Its £180, lots more than you were looking at. But, you can watch from about a metre away (the average viewing distance of my children!) - very few mpeg artefacts, no pixellation of lines. I think a big improvement came from just moving away from scart. There is also a big improvement using the Oppo upscaling from 460 to 1080 over the Sony upscaling.

I know what you mean about "wish I hadn't". I bought everything new when I got my X, AV amp speakers, Oppo DVD, separate DVD recorder, Sky HD...leads, cabinet. Took me months. Now I'm looking back and I can see and hear the improvement (even the wife loves the Oppo), I feel it was well worth it.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,183
    That Oppo sounds very nice from what have heard of it. Is it really only avasilble from the US? I don't like the idea of it being shipped from there.

10. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    See http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/dvd_players.htm £189 multiregion

11. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Smurk,

The one i have bought off ebay is not an Oppo but it looks the same. and it says it is all singing and all dancing, 720p 1080i 1080p etc etc.. and for £70 inc delivery and a hdmi lead i thought id give it a go..... i will post up reviews when i have it and have played with it for a bit...

thanks for advice from everyone, changing TV has been a real headache for me and im kind of having to learn a load of stuff to help me get the best picture etc...

12. radical1

radical1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    sas