HDMI dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by teddybears, Nov 3, 2005.

1. teddybears

teddybears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for a dvd recorder with HDMI as I have recently bought a HD ready panasonic lcd tv with freeview.
    I want the best results from recording but want even better from playing original bought dvd`s.
    Do I need a freeview tuner in the recorder to record programs better.
    I believe there are a few things coming along soon and I will have a max £500 budget.
    Can you point me in the right direction of the one`s to look at.

Cheers

G :lease:

2. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Samsung do a couple with hdmi & upscaling. Have a look HERE

3. teddybears

teddybears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers mate, i have seen some reviews on the sony hxd910 and it looks interesting.

4. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my advice is don't touch the samsung they took mine away on 17th july 05 re a well known firmware fault and they still have not repaired or replaced it :thumbsdow

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi,

I've had my 910 for a week or so and I'm just starting to get to grips with it. It's my first HDD recorder, DVD recorder and Freeview receiver so it was quite daunting to start with. I'm quite pleasantly surprised by the Freeview pictures with BBC 1, 2 and ITV 1 bettering the quality I get from Sky Digital - not difficult with ITV, I know. Recording using the EPG is very easy with a good range of datarate options to choose from. I'll be trying some DV footage editing next. Hope this helps.

Steve

6. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355

17th of july :eek: :eek:
    Who actually took it away, the shop you bought it from or samsung?

7. poshngoldenball

poshngoldenball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted samsung Uk as the unit was bought Feb 05 they told me yes it's a warranty claim no problem and to contact their insurance company who in turn assigned Digital satellite services of sutton :thumbsdow (took it 15/7/05) The firmware fault is well known on the various forums when the guy picked up the unit from my home he said "Oh ain't worked on these mate could be a problem" I told him that Samsung on their website have version 1 for download of their firmware but not version 2 which the unit needed He looked rather puzzled and left with the unit. Before he took it away the unit would work but serveral things re stoping having to start at the beginning of the DVd and not accepting handset commands were present but now after all those months got the unit back 2 weeks ago and it's completely dead.Samsung state they are waiting for a report from digital satellite services re the demise of the unit. I told them that I think the unit has been ruined because they can not cure the fault. Samsung now state they have dropped this company because of a number of complaints :thumbsup: but still I can not get a manager to say "Ok give him a new unit" The only thing that cheers me up it the picture on my Panasonic 500 LCd now that is a piece of kit :clap: anyway sorry to ramble but no more samsung for me :boring:

8. Nick Gillies

Nick Gillies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch, does your Sony 910 have HDMI out? The review in What Video said it would have, but looking at the specs on Sony's UK site and on RGB Direct this seems not to be there.

How useful would it be in a pre-hi def recorder?

9. Nick Gillies

Nick Gillies
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, sorry, I've just been back to the RGB Direct site and it says that there is HDMI output on the Sony 910.

But my second question stands: how useful is it?

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Nick,

The advantage of the HDMI is that it keeps the Freeview signal in the digital domain, which should be good for picture quality. I have mine connected to my plasma's VGA input via a "naughty box" as the DVI socket is non HDCP-compliant.

Steve