HDMI DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by windfall, Oct 15, 2004.

1. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Chaps

I am hopefully gonna get a new Sony HS50 end of this month and am wondering what to do about my DVD player. I am running a Pioneer 575S at the mo and am thinking about upgrading to a HDMI for connection to the PJ.

Can you recommend a decent player, only prob is that I probably wont want to spend more then about £400-£500 or so, so that rules out the top end Pioneers I guess.

Thanks

Tone

2. Vanderlay

Vanderlay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A lot of the HDMI players are just about to be released but these are some of the models, I would be looking for:

Denon 2910
    Philips DVP 900SA
    Panasonic S97
    Samsung DVD-HD945

The Arcam DV79 is probably outside your price range (not familiar with UK Arcam prices), and also this player lacks upscaling despite its other advantages.

Also, I think Sony was supposed to release an upscaling hdmi dvd player but I don't know the name of that one.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have two Denon 3910s and would love to say I am delighted with them. Unfortunately I cannot at the m0ment as they have a problem with audio and video break up after about 70 minutes watching. I know some of the older Denon players used to 'cook' the discs and exhibit this problem. I really hoped the 3910 did not suffer the same fate.

I am sad to say that I feel a pit peeved now having bought two of them. Had the first one about a month and it was fine until night before last. The same day I bought the second unit. The second one (in a different room and different setup) started doing the exact same thing last night. I'm now in a quandary at what to do but at this time cannot rtecommend the 3910 for this reason.

I should add that this problem is only with DVD-R discs burned on the PC and/or Philips/Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders. All are Ritek G04 discs which never exhibited any problems on my previous Tosh SD900E and Pio 868 players.

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Messiah

Thats is not good. must admit I use quite a few DVD-R disks in my Yamaha 540 and my Pioneer 575 and get no issues with them at all.

This woul drule out the dennon for me tbh. I have heard that there will be a raft of HDMI players in 2005 and having purchased two DVD players in 6 months think I'll hang on until they become more plentiful.
    In the meantime I will do with component which is very good and I already have the cable laid.

When our house was being built I had a comp/svhs and component cables laid. After this I wish I had had a VGA cable, now I wish I knew about HDMI but it wasnt out 10 months ago when the house was being put together so cant do anything about that.

I think the 868 Pioneer is too expensive - but as these models go out for the newer I guess they will be a bit cheaper and may be an option.

Thanks chaps for your time in thinking about it for me though - always appreciated.

Tone

5. Richard QC

Richard QC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sir, an excellent question, I was just about to ask the same!

I am looking for a good HDMI equipped player with the following 'features';

mid price range 400-600 GBP
    Multiregion (a must)
    PAL and NTSC of course
    Up-scaling would be nice for use on a PIO 434 Plasma

I would really only use it for purchased DVDs to obtain the absolute best possible picture quality.

I really fancy the Pio 868 (to match pio TV and amp) but at 800-1000 it is a bit pricey and I understand hard to find.

Any further thoughts, news, reviews etc on viable options would be appreciated.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I understand there a few dealers selling the 868 for £700. One was in Glasgow IIRC but cannot remember the name. A search should find out though.

Having had the 868 and now the 3910's my highest recommendation goes to the 868. Stunning player with no faults at all (other than the chroma bug which I don't see). I use it with HDMI so cannot comment on the component outputs.