HDMI Distribution Problem - Edison vs Labgear

UpThePosh1934

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an EDISION HDMI MODULATOR (single DVB-T) Full HD Distribution over Coax to distribute an HDMI signal to a Labgear LDU608G 8 Way Distribution Unit. The Labgear unit has a UHF rooftop aerial connected to it for general digital reception. Previously I had a cheap 4 way distribution box and had the coax signal from the Edison unit and the rooftop aerial connected to the input via a 3 way F Type connector. This worked fine although the quality wasn’t great. However, the Labgear unit doesn’t seem to want to distribute the signal from the Edison unit at all regardless of what I put I use. Does anyone have any ideas on what settings I need to use on the Edison for the Labgear to recognise it and also what I put I should use? I’ve tried using the 3 way F type connector and there is no signal output at all from the Labgear for any of the inputs. Thanks

Why have you bought that box?
Are you also distributing freesat or $ky (non Q) signals via triplexer wall plates and IR returns and using magic eyes?

:rtfm:

Normal UHF aerial to UHF in ---
Downlink OUT to main room --> RF IN of $ky box
RF2 out of $ky box ---> Uplink IN

Freesat boxes don't have such RF feeds, although the cables could be used to mix the modulator and aerial signals by using Down into the modulator IN and the mod out back to the Uplink IN.

Alternatively if a dedicated cable from the modulator OUT is fed to the loft box, and if no sat distribution is needed:
Either fit a link cable between Down and UP or set the switch from SAT to UHF/CCTV to effect the same thing.
THEN the modulator OUT cable would connect to the CCTV IN to mix the signals there (rather than using the splitter as a signal combiner).

Most likely issue is a dodgy cable shorting inner to outer giving no signal? Or a faulty box (unlikely).

BUT
Previously I had a cheap 4 way distribution box and had the coax signal from the Edison unit and the rooftop aerial connected to the input via a 3 way F Type connector. This worked fine although the quality wasn’t great.
The splitter as a combiner reduces the signal passing through. The amplifier won't make up for the losses.
What do you mean by 'quality wasn't great'? On what? Freeview UHF TV reception? On the modulated signal (only)?

Thanks for the response. The HDMI modulator was predominantly purchased to send a Sky Q signal around the house but I’ve also tried it with an old DVD HDMI signal as a test. The signal was previously sent to a cheap 4 way distribution unit where it connected to a 3 way f type connector along with a standard digital aerial to the input on the distribution unit. This gave us the ability to tune in the Sky signal using channel 68 and also terrestrial channels. I noticed that not all channels were available if both the Sky signal and UHF aerial signal were connected together but if I just connected the UHF aerial all channels were available. We’ve had some building work done and need to distribute the TV signal to 6 separate rooms hence the new 8 way distribution unit which doesn’t appear to recognise the Sky signal at all. Any help would really be appreciated.

So exactly how have you connected it all up on the inputs side?
List cables, locations etc.,.

Sounds to me like the aerial is marginal for the location if a -4dB reduction in signal lost some multiplexes. So a direct input to that box is better.

Have you a small portable TV that can see the modulator output on ch 68 OK in the room with the Q box? If yes use that to prove the cable in loft box location gets it... if not check plugs are made correctly until it works or replace that cable with a new one...
Once it's working it'll go in the CCTV input (no other will work, except the UHF one the aerial goes into).

Note that TVs need to be Freeview HD capable for the H.264 video codec - generally DVB-T2 tuners although the modulator is DVB-T. Some pan-european DVB-T sets had the codec included, but most DVB-T sets sold in the UK didn't.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom