HDMI display issues

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by pete1185, Feb 9, 2009.

1. pete1185

pete1185
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I've recently built a HTPC with the Gigabyte GA78gm-s2h mother board and I have it connected via HDMI to an LCD TV (32" LG7000) however I've got some odd issues with the display.

Firstly, there is a kind of interference with the image - it is most noticeable on edges where you can faintly see the edge occurs to the left and right of where it should be and this occurs on everything on screen. It's quite subtle but annoying.

Also when using vista media centre video will not play full screen, there is a black border around the video around 2cm thick (also the close icons etc appear inside this border even tho the blue of the home screen extends to the edges)

These issues don't occur when using a VGA connection so not sure what it can be. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    The faint image thing could be your TV's sharpness control? What happens if you turn this down to the lowest level?

I had the Media Center running in an overscan compensated window - but the desktop fine - issue a while back - but a re-install fixed it. (Have you got the latest Catalyst drivers installed - or at least 8.11?)

3. pete1185

pete1185
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response.
    Sharpness doesn't seem to make a difference unfortunately. It might be worth mentioning that i'm running the screen at 1920x1080 res at 60Hz and have to use the tv's "just scan" mode otherwise i miss the edges of the screen. However using the vga connection everthing fits perfectly on the "16:9" tv setting.

Also I am using the latest ATI drivers, however I havn't reinstalled windows since upgrading the motherboard and moving to a tv connection, would a reinstall make any differences?

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +920
    Yep - HDMI feeds default to overscan usually (so you have to manually select Just to remove this). VGA is a PC-only standard so defeats the overscan simulation otherwise used.

Do you get the ringing on VGA only or both. VGA is analogue - so you might expect some ringing - and cable quality is an issue for analogue signals.

(BTW - 50Hz is MUCH better for UK TV and DVD than 60Hz )

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. pete1185

pete1185
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only get the ringing using HDMI, everything looks fine using VGA which is why I'm so confused about the problem. I would expect a sharper picture using HDMI but i'm getting a worse picture.

Any more ideas?

6. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Having similar issues with the GA-E7AUM-DS2H Geforce 9400 board. When connected up to my Sony 32" LCD by VGA I get pin sharp picture at 1360x768.

If I connect via HDMI at 720p or 1080i I get terrible overscan and the picture is really grainy. Looking at the background of the MP splash screen almost looks like not enough colours are being used ??

From what I have been reading this appears to be a lot worse on screens that don't have a 1920x1080 native res. I am planning to upgrade my TV as soon as I can get my hands on a Sony 40W4500 anyway but would be interested if there is anything I can do that will make the current situtation better (even MP interface looks bad)

7. malcolm0831

malcolm0831
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would always advise re-installing windows when replacing a motherboard, otherwise the chipset drivers would probably not be installed correctly, not to mention the graphics drivers.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009