HDMI - Direct to TV or via the AVR

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have a new TV - a 65" LG 4k OLED replacing a 55" Pioneer plasma.

I have the following sources

Sky Q
A BDP - actually a UHD player but only used for HD blurays (at least for the time being)
Amazon Fire TV (4k)
A Dune media player - not sure I will continue using this

I have two AVRs to choose from, an older Denon which has HDMI but not 4k, and a newer Yamaha that supports 4k

I Have two questions about connecting this all up

Q1 - in the past I have always routed all my sources through the AVR using HDMI so just one HDMI up to the TV. Given that most of my sources are still going to be HD and I've been advised that the TV is likely to have the best scaling to 4k, is routing through the AVR still the best way forward? I have three options

a) sources > AVR (HDMI, video and audio) and AVR > TV (Video)
b) sources > TV (HDMI video) and sources > AVR (Optical audio)
c) sources > TV (HDMI video and audio) and TV > AVR HDMI ARC or optical audio)

I've practically discounted option (c) is my experience with this is that TVs often only pass down a limited set of audio formats

Q2 - I'm assuming that if I don't pass any video through the AVR (options b or c) then it doesn't matter whether I use the Denon or Yamaha AVR. Is that correct?

Cheers,

Nigel

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I have a Yamaha rxa 660 avr that supports 4K (not upscaling) All my sources are passed through the avr then to the TV via on hdmi. All the upscaling is done by the tv.

I have tried plugging all components into the tv, but I can see no discernible difference in picture quality.

Plus you get the full range of audio supported by using the avr .

Personally i would go with the 4K avr. :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have a Yamaha rxa 660 avr that supports 4K (not upscaling) All my sources are passed through the avr then to the TV via on hdmi. All the upscaling is done by the tv.

I have tried plugging all components into the tv, but I can see no discernible difference in picture quality.

Plus you get the full range of audio supported by using the avr .

Personally i would go with the 4K avr. :)

From a wiring point of view that would be my preference. Much easier and tidier to connect up and configure. But leave the HDMI as pass through and let the TV do the scaling.

I assume that as my Denon doesn't have 4k that I can't use that AVR to pass through UHD source.

Q2 - correct.

Does the Yamaha support Dolby Vision? And eArc?

Do both options offer Atmos?

My newer AVR is a Yamaha RX-679. It doesn't support Atmos, though it is not something that I am looking at just yet. Also doesn't support Dolby Vision. It does have ARC but not sure about eARC - what's the difference?

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
From a wiring point of view that would be my preference. Much easier and tidier to connect up and configure. But leave the HDMI as pass through and let the TV do the scaling.

I assume that as my Denon doesn't have 4k that I can't use that AVR to pass through UHD source.

My newer AVR is a Yamaha RX-679. It doesn't support Atmos, though it is not something that I am looking at just yet. Also doesn't support Dolby Vision. It does have ARC but not sure about eARC - what's the difference?
That’s what my current setup does. My Yamaha also does not support Dolby Vision, I’m not too worried as I don’t have any DV discs. Any DV content I have comes from the TV built in amps.

As I understand it eArc allows for the bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio soundtracks from blu rays and 4K blu rays.

if you want to read more HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
That’s what my current setup does. My Yamaha also does not support Dolby Vision, I’m not too worried as I don’t have any DV discs. Any DV content I have comes from the TV built in amps.

As I understand it eArc allows for the bitstreaming of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master audio soundtracks from blu rays and 4K blu rays.

if you want to read more HDMI ARC and HDMI eARC: everything you need to know :)

I'm not reassured by ARC. I had a nausea of a time trying to use it on my setup in my man-cave.

I wanted to send my gaming PC direct to the TV so that I could set that TV channel to GAME mode, but could I get 5.1 back down ARC - not a chance.

All the documentation for the TV and AMP was terribly sparse and vague, suggested that 5.1 would be okay over ARC but reality told me differently.

Gave up in the end and put everything through the AMP.

Cheers,

Nigel

jwsg

I still prefer ARC to optical but unless both your TV and amp support eARC the best you'll get is DD+ - which is fine for Netflix and Amazon TV apps but most other sources are more demanding as youve found. - for example a PC can provide multichannel PCM, or lossless bitstream or Atmos .

However the big limitation with routing everything through an amp is the TV sees only one HDMI source and therefore gives you only one set of picture settings. For the PC you'll want game mode - or I prefer using PC label.

Either way this isnt optimal for other video sources so I route video from the blu-ray to the TV and audio via the amp using the player's 2nd HDMI so that a 2nd set of video settings for the blu-ray are available.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom