1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdmi Debate

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by banyantree, Sep 21, 2004.

1. banyantree

banyantree

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Considering purchasing a new HDMI cable for connecting my PIONEER PLASMA to the PIONEER 969.
    However there are varying reviews on whether such an investment is worthwhile giving that the existing HDMi cable that comes with the PLASMA is digital.
    Can you improve on a digital connection?
    Will I need to purchase 2 HDMI cables? one from the receiver to DVD and one from the receiver to the Plasma?

Anyone using alternative HDMI cables and notice a big difference?

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would imagine that, other than for a manufacturing fault, one certified HDMI cable will give the same results as another since the HDMI standard means that for certification, they must all meet the minumum standard.

And as you say, its a digital cable and once transmission is 100% error free, the only things that affect digital transmissions is jitter, which, unlike audio, would be unlikely to affect an image that is transmitted in discreet fields/frames.

If your pushing the limits of the HDMI standard, or using DVI or non certified cables, it may be a different story.

Just my opinion.

-Ian

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I dunno, The DVi cable that came with my Fujitsu plasma which is used to conect the receiver with the Panel was of poor quality and I noticed artefacts all over the place.

After I exchanged that cable for a more expensive DVI i noticed an instant change. The colours became more vivid, lines sharper, artefacts gone and just a much better picture in general.

It might be different if your conecting a DVD player, but its the same principle. Why dont you try an expensive cable? If you see an improvement then buy it.

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The cables connecting the 434 Plasma to Media Receiver are not HDMI! Totally different form factor and the fact that there are 2 cables should be a major clue.

5. yan

yan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cable that connects your plasma to the tuner is not an HDMI cable, you will need just one HDMI cable from your dvd player to the tuner. I find there is enough improvement to justify purchasing an HDMI cable(504hde to 868), I bought the BetterCables HDMI form Joe and its excellent, I think it cost £55 odd.

6. j0nners

j0nners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how can a digital image become more vivid etc? it's a stream of ones & zeros right so how can a one or zero become more vivid?!?

jon :confused:

7. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    AML said he was getting artefacts all over the place which implies that the data wasn't being reliably received (clocked) into the display electronics This meant it therefore wasn't getting the exact stream of ones and zeros and could well look less vivid compared to a good connection.

8. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced the Pioneer suppled HDMI cable that came with the 434 and 969 DVD with a Monster 400. The improvement was noticable with more detail evident. I know people say that it is impossible to improve HDMI signals but if the original cable is poor quality as the Pioneer is then a high quality replacement cable such as Monster etc will improve the picture. I also replaced the sytem cable between the multimedia box and panel with a Monster 400 DVI and had a similar improvement. Poor quality digital cables introduce interference that degrade the picture.

9. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    My HDMI cable cost just over £7 and I haven't noticed any problems or issues with PQ.
    If the signal is not being degraded by the cable then a more expensive cable is only going to do one thing - reduce your bank balance.

10. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You never know till you try, a lot of retailers will let you buy on the condition if there is no improvemnet it may be returned. I thought my cables were perfect until I tried another brand. Do some blind tests with your wife/girlfriend, they are normally harsher critics when it involves spending money on stuff like cables