1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI - crazy prices !!??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dunkwho, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    What IS going on with the pricing on HDMI cables? Clearly its a digital signal cable so cable (wire & screen) quality is important to preserve the digital edges, allow the right speed\bandwidth etc but is NOT going to have the sort of impact that poor cable would do on an analogue signal (component\s-vid\rgb\composite).

Without entering the expensive\cheap cable war of words :D its fair to say that a range of cables are in the market for analogue signals to cover every budget - the fact that I run <£10 10m cables for my component\s-vid is my choice on the price\quality weigh up. No such luxury of being able to pick and choose with HDMI ... its cable ... and two connectors ... $300 per 10m .... come on !!!???

rant over - don't suppose anyone else has had more luck in tracking down reasonably priced budget (see, I'll even call a spade a spade) cables or connectors for DIYers?.

Duncan

PS - consider CAT5 networking ... we can happily stream DVD bandwidth video & audio data streams around cat 5 on a couple of crimped connectors and cable at £couple\meter ...? crazy :thumbsdow

2. Digger

Digger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    hi....
    someone else mentioned www.cpc.co.uk
    could not see any hdmi kit though

hth
    Dave

3. Dutch