• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI control?

Niteflyer

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I have a Sky Q box which is connected to my Yamaha RX-481D receiver, which is connected to my LG TV. and Simplink is activated.

The TV is relatively new (5 weeks).

With my old LG TV I could press the ON button on the sky remote which would turn on my sky box/receiver/ TV via HDMI control and everything including volume etc... would work fine.

Now, with the new TV everything turns on with HDMI control but the volume reverts back to internal TV speaker. I have to switch off the receiver and on again and everything works fine again and the volume goes back to external.

If only does this if the TV/Sky/receiver has been off for a few hours, doesn’t happen if they’ve only been off for a couple of hours.

I’ve reset the TV and the Receiver, updated firmware and changed HDMI cables but that hasn’t worked.

Any ideas anyone?

I’m assuming it’s a SIMPLINK issue with the firmware as it didn’t do it on last LG TV?

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is nirethan likely the AV receiver being automatically switched to its "TV" ARC source whenever you power the TV up? This is a long standing issue associated with HDMI ARC and caused by ARC's dependance on HDMI CEC. It isn't technically a fault with ARC so the developers of ARC never sorted it out or did anything to try rectify it.

When you power the TV and receiver up out of standby, you'll unfortunately have to manually set the source as opposed to it being what you'd ordinarilly want it to be. You can workaround this issue if you've a Harmony remote. The only AV receivers to include settings you can used to avoid it or those made by Denon and Marantz.

If not using ARC then turn this off and the issue should desist.

Other than this, the only time the TV's speakers would engage themselves is if the AV receiver isn't on. The TV's speakers will not engage if you've set the TV's audio settings to the ARC or the optical audio output options while the AV receiver is turned on. The TV only engages and uses its own speakers in such a scenario if or when the AV receiver is in standby or not being used. THe TV would automatically engage its speakers in such scenarios.

Last edited:

Niteflyer

Standard Member
It is nirethan likely the AV receiver being automatically switched to its "TV" ARC source whenever you power the TV up? This is a long standing issue associated with HDMI ARC and caused by ARC's dependance on HDMI CEC. It isn't technically a fault with ARC so the developers of ARC never sorted it out or did anything to try rectify it.

When you power the TV and receiver up out of standby, you'll unfortunately have to manually set the source as opposed to it being what you'd ordinarilly want it to be. You can workaround this issue if you've a Harmony remote. The only AV receivers to include settings you can used to avoid it or those made by Denon and Marantz.

If not using ARC then turn this off and the issue should desist.

Niteflyer

Standard Member
Thanks very much for the reply.
What you say makes sense. It’s a pain in backside though. I did have a harmony remote but we didn’t get on so he had to leave.

I do use ARC back to the receiver and out through the speakers.

Might be a case of upgrading the receiver.

One question though, why did it NEBER happen with my old LG TV?

Thanks again.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Where you using ARC with your last TV?

Are you sure that the AV receiver is actually on when you experience the issue you outline. The TV wouldn't activate its own speakers if and when ARC is activated on both it and the AV receiver unless your AV receiver were in standby.

Niteflyer

Standard Member
Where you using ARC with your last TV?

Are you sure that the AV receiver is actually on when you experience the issue you outline. The TV wouldn't activate its own speakers if and when ARC is activated on both it and the AV receiver unless your AV receiver were in standby.

Yep, EXACTLY the same set up as my last TV.
The receiver is definitely on but I have to turn it off and then back on again to activate the SIMPLINK on the TV.

I know it’s reverted to TV speaker because I can hear the audio coming from the TV speaker and the on screen volume indicator is different. I can either turn off the receiver and back on again or go into TV settings and turn off/on SIMPLINK to get it working.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What is the source of the audio you are hearing via the TV speakers? If the source is a device connected to the AV receiver then you've incorrectly configured the AV receiver to pass audio through via HDMI while the receiver is on. Go into the AV receiver's HDMI configurations and look for a swrtting entitled AUDIO OUTPUT. Ensure that this is set to OFF. There's also another option entitle STANDBY THROUGH which can be left on and only passes HDMI audio through if and when the AV receiver is in standby.

THe only other thing I can suggest is to ensure the HDMI cables are securely connected or maybe even try a different cable between the TV and the AV receiver.

Niteflyer

Standard Member
What is the source of the audio you are hearing via the TV speakers? If the source is a device connected to the AV receiver then you've incorrectly configured the AV receiver to pass audio through via HDMI while the receiver is on. Go into the AV receiver's HDMI configurations and look for a swrtting entitled AUDIO OUTPUT. Ensure that this is set to OFF. There's also another option entitle STANDBY THROUGH which can be left on and only passes HDMI audio through if and when the AV receiver is in standby.

THe only other thing I can suggest is to ensure the HDMI cables are securely connected or maybe even try a different cable between the TV and the AV receiver.

Unfortunately the pass through has no option to turn off. It’s either on or auto which both allow the audio to pas through.

Tried 3 different HDMI cables now.

Just strange that it worked PERFECTLY until I replaced the TV. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom