HDMI Control or SR+ ?

LMDavies

I have all Pioneer equipment except for a cheap HDMI cable TV HDMI box and have just put it all in AV cupboard with solid doors.

What is the best way of controlling it using my KRP500M's infra-red receiver? HDMI Control, SR+, IR out /in etc ?

Also how about the cable TV HDMI box?

Many thanks.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
IR extender/repeater - try keene.co.uk IRBKIT or a universal remote with RF e.g. Logitech Harmony 900/1100. Can your TV remote learn the other equipment's commands i.e. is it a learning remote? If not a universal remote would be the way to go, either IR model plus IR extender/repeater or RF model.

Edit - SR+ will only work if all your equipment is SR+ compatible i.e. Pioneer. As your cable box presumably isn't, you would need a universal remote.

Last edited:

LMDavies

Thanks Dave,

I have a Harmony One remote and have read that I can utilise my Plasma's IR receiver by daisy chaining the other devices with a 3.5mm cable.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I have a Harmony One remote and have read that I can utilise my Plasma's IR receiver by daisy chaining the other devices with a 3.5mm cable.
If your plasma has an IR out, then yes. You'll need to verify the presence of an IR out on your plasma TV, as it's not very common.

LMDavies

If your plasma has an IR out, then yes. You'll need to verify the presence of an IR out on your plasma TV, as it's not very common.

Just checked and my panel and it has an IR Repeater output. So do you recommend daisy chaining my plasma, BD player and amp together with 3.5mm cables?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Just checked and my panel and it has an IR Repeater output. So do you recommend daisy chaining my plasma, BD player and amp together with 3.5mm cables?
You can try it as it won't cost much to do so. The disadvantage is that the TV will need to be on (standby may be sufficient) to control the amp. For this reason I use an external, powered, 4-way connector block.

LMDavies

I just tried a standard 3.5mm cable with no joy. It looks like I need to get one of those SR+ 3.5mm cables instead.

This will not take care of the cable tv box though. This external 4-way connector block - what is it exactly and is it expensive?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I just tried a standard 3.5mm cable with no joy. It looks like I need to get one of those SR+ 3.5mm cables instead.
The SR+ cable is a TRRS connector ("3-ringed mini phone plug"), presumably your "standard 3.5mm cable" was mono (TS) or stereo (TRS), and that will indeed not work.
This will not take care of the cable tv box though. This external 4-way connector block - what is it exactly and is it expensive?
I'm using a Sonance CB1 together with the CR1.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom