HDMI connector for 8K cable

cesius

Novice Member
Hi,

I need to pass an 8K HDMI cable through the wall and then crimp the connectors. Do I need to find 8K connectors or the HDMI version only affects the cable? If so, could you please recommend me any website where I can buy them?

Thanks in advance.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What is an ‘8K’ cable?

Any break in your cable run is a potential fail point - I would avoid any break in the cable run.

Joe

cesius

Novice Member
I meant an HDMI 2.1 cable. I know it‘s better to use the cable straight from factory but it has to go through the wall and it does not fit in the pipe. That’s why I have to pass the cable and then crimp the connectors.

John7

Have you SEEN the smallness and number of wires in an HDMI connector? I can’t imagine there are crimps that small! Even soldering one up is not something I would attempt and I’ve been a hobbyist in electronics for over 40 years!

HDMI connections are very sensitive. If you want no connectivity issues, I would advise to make the hole bigger and use a liner pipe that can handle the cable with it’s unadulterated original connector attached.

Otto Pylot

I meant an HDMI 2.1 cable. I know it‘s better to use the cable straight from factory but it has to go through the wall and it does not fit in the pipe. That’s why I have to pass the cable and then crimp the connectors.
For the most reliable connection, you should run a new, ATC certified UHS HDMI cable, even if that means widening the hole and installing a conduit for future pulls/upgrades if at all possible.

How long is your run, given some extra length for bend radius, etc and what kind of cable do you currently have installed? If it is a hybrid fiber cable it will be impossible to splice and dice a longer cable. You'd be better off to connect an extension cable if you can find one that will work reliably. But, as Joe mentioned above, anytime you have a break in the HDMI chain you run the risk of signal issues (reliability).

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Repairing/on-site terminating a cable to pass1080p was a nightmare - forget about trying to terminate a cable on-site to pass a 2160p signal, that is never going to be a viable option.

Start over with your planning and ensure you have a cable way large enough to pass a pre-terminated Ultra High Speed certified cable through.

Joe

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I need to pass an 8K HDMI cable through the wall and then crimp the connectors. Do I need to find 8K connectors or the HDMI version only affects the cable? If so, could you please recommend me any website where I can buy them?

Thanks in advance.
The high bandwidth and frequency of the signal carried over an HDMI cable requires that the twisted pairs within the cable be maintained to very exact dimensions and lengths.
The lengths must be same to within a tiny fraction of a millimeter.

This means all cables must be machine made , its the only way to be that precise , and field termination of HDMI cables is not an option.

There are or were some repair kits available for High speed cables , but these had a less than 50% success rate when 1080p @ 60fps was the highest signal available.
They have no chance of working with UHD or 8K signals.

Cables must be machine made , and unbroken to stand any chance of working with UHD or 8K

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom