HDMI Connections

bluesa1

I am setting up my Hikvision NVR and camera and, I find that I need an HDMI splitter so that I can channel my pc and the NVR through the same monitor. I looked on-line and have spotted them priced between £8 and £12. I then thought that a speedy answer would be to use my local TV/Electrical shop but they want £25 for one. Not being an expert, my question is, are there splitters and splitters then, i.e does the quality differ that much?

There is an alternative, my monitor has a vacant analogue connector which I could use but I am wondering if there would be any loss of picture quality.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Many thanks.

mushii

An hdmi splitter normally takes 1 hdmi input and splits it into 2 outputs. What I think you need is an HDMI Switch, 2 x Input, 1 x Output. is your PC outputting 4k or 1080p? Is your NVR a 4k or 1080P NVR ? As that will determine what kind of switch you may wish to use. Either a 1080P or 4k switch

Whichever way £8 or £12 (even for a 1080p switch) is very cheap, it may be hit and miss whether it works well or not at all. The HDMI signal path is not just a straight electrical connection from AB, when 2 HDMI devices connect here is some complex handshaking that goes on in the back ground to check for things like digital copy protection, and for one device to tell the other what resolution etc it is capable of operating at. Cheap splitters / switches do not always allow this handshaking to occur properly and can result in glitchy connections or no connections at all. Further, different AV equipment requires different bandwidths of connection, depending on what resolution and frame rate is required depends on what rate the data is transmitted at. Not all Switches / Splitters are capable of handling some of the higher data rates (normally the cheaper ones) which will result in either reduced image quality or no image at all. I have tried to keep this explanation as simple as possible.

Last edited:

bluesa1

Thank you for your very informative reply mushii, very much appreciated.

Would I lose any quality if I use the analogue connection then? However, from what you have said in your reply, it does really look as though I will need some sort of switching device. Am I right in thinking that having the NVR connected via the analogue input and my computer via the HDMI input isn't going to work?
If it helps with any further input you might offer, the NVR is a Hikvision DS-7604NI-K1/4P(B)
I think that this unit supports 4k video output but I'm not sure about my monitors capability.
The PC monitor is an HP2408h running at a resolution of 1920 x 1200
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Last edited:

mushii

As your monitor is 1920 x 1200 and that is a native resolution for VGA I think that you will be fine using the HDMI input for your PC and the VGA (Analogue) connector for your NVR. If you are not happy using the VGA connection i would look at something like this NEET switch

Neet® 4K HDMI Switch 4 x 1 with IR - 3D 4k x 2k - USB Powered

Because, i have had reasonably good success with NEET equipment, their customer support and returns is generally very good, their build quality tends to be good and it has pretty good customer reviews. Plus it is not going to break the bank, but it is a tier higher than some of the £10 products being advertised

If you were looking for something to switch UHD 4k sources to a main 4k TV, I wouldn't recommend it, as it is unlikely to reliably pass 'full fat' 4k signals. But for your application I think that it should be OK.

bluesa1

Thank you once again mushii. I'm now wondering what will happen when both the NVR and my pc are both left switched on for 24/7.

I do always leave my pc on all of the time as a matter of course, I only switch it off when I go on holiday.

Will there be a clash of signals? There must be some way to toggle between both units, will I be able to do this on-screen?

mushii

Yup you can normally switch between inputs on the monitor. It should be fine with having 2 inputs at once

mushii

Do you have to view it on your monitor? You can use a little Android box, with Hikvision software installed to view the NVR on the TV. You can normally get a little android box for £35

bluesa1

You are being so very helpful mushii, thank you.
I do have a smart TV which is connected to the internet. The NVR will also be connected to the internet so perhaps an android box is the way to go.

Is there a particular box that you would recommend?

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Neet is a well known brand and Mushi knows his stuff.

mushii

I tend to use MXQ boxes just because they are cheap and IVMS 4200 runs OK on it.

mushii

I managed to pick a couple of the MXQ Pro boxes at £25 each. They seem to work well

Top Bottom