HDMI connections on projectors; what is the point?

Jackass

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I might be missing something here but HDMI carries video and audio, but what is the point in carrying audio to the projector?

Is it another cashin by the manufacturers?

:confused:

Not at all, its the video side that is extracted. HDMI is a lot more plug and play than DVI.
also you can have much longer cable lenghs as long as its HDMI>HDMI
DVI is the poor brother here. isnt best suited to consumer PJs
HDMI will just make it easier to plug and go as well as been better to adapt to future formats. like HD-DVD that will be able to send out more than 8Bits of info, somthing HDMI can take advantage of.

personaly i think HDMI is the way to go

I believe HDMI is more technically advanced than DVI and will try to find the other thread here that discussed this. If it were just a case of carrying audio as well as video then I agree it would seem a bit of a waste. However, it is also a opportunity for manufacturers to standardise on one connector and whilst the ability to carry audio for a projector will be of little use it will be of use when TV sets, DVD recorders etc are all sporting HDMI connectors (The next century SCART connector perhaps :) )

Originally posted by Messiah
DVD recorders etc are all sporting HDMI connectors
Um, the cynics amongst us suggest that's down to the DRM paranoia of the RIAA and other 'content' owners than the industry's decision from a technical PoV. ;)

and you would be right KraGorn, to make HDMI all product will have to carry HDCP protection.
I dont think thell want that on a recordable dvdPlayer.
i expect all HD-DVD players to be HDMI or DVI enabled(as theres no point in down ressing.(oh HDMI can pass full 1080P as well)

but i dont expect to be able to pass anything other than 576p to a dvd recorder (god knows if there let us doit with an all digital connection)

So lets say all this mess about ilink and Denon , Pioneer compatability issues could be solved once there is this standard HDMI connector on all there products.

If so, have there been any announcments for products like AV amps carrying these HDMI connectors from the likes of Denon, Pioneer?

denon are about to release a firmware to fix the i-link issue and pioneer amps.

problem i see being on amps is they will not offer upconversion to hdmi from say s-video or RGB, or component due to the HDCP protection.
so will probaly still have to run a component cable for the rest of your gear

denons 25k system has HDMI and i-link. pioneer have said they have no imeadiate plans to incorporate HDMI on there amp range.

I dont think this will happen til HDMI2 when multi channel audio can pass over HDMI

Originally posted by gandley
problem i see being on amps is they will not offer upconversion to hdmi from say s-video or RGB, or component due to the HDCP protection.
What's the issue here? Why would having an HDMI connector stop them upconverting analog inputs? The poing AIUI is to stop HD material entering the digital worl unprotected and the analog world at all .. SD upsampling to HD surely is no different from what happens now with DVI+HDCP devices?

Krgorn thats right but your old hardware is not HDCP compilant so how will the hand shake occur to allow the pass as the protection is hardware not software

:( ... yeah, true .. yet another reason to hate the RIAA and MPAA, the A/V industry wouldn't impose this cr@p if it weren't for them and equipment would be a LOT cheaper if the hardware companies didn't have to fork out for licenses for this DRM, that region coding etc. etc. :thumbsdow

Originally posted by KraGorn
Um, the cynics amongst us suggest that's down to the DRM paranoia of the RIAA and other 'content' owners than the industry's decision from a technical PoV. ;)

Who cares about the DRM and the RIAA we all know that someone somewhere will get around it and allow us to rip out the digital information and tell the encryption to p*** off, just like Macrovision, Regional encoding and RCE have all been defeated so will HDCP, any protection system designed for a mass produced protect WILL fail, ITV digital cards, Sky cards etc etc :laugh: :clap:

Even so all that means is they force us to spend more helping them design a bigger mouse trap. :(

Also, even if HDCP is broken don't expect to easily be able to buy an equivalent to the Macrovision killers of today .. which, if you may have seen, are rapidly disappearing from shops now the EU DMCA is being implemented.

I suspect HDMI will remain for all intenst and purpose unbroken. Hell, I don't even care that it remains so, what p***es me off is the increased cost of all these protection schemes being added to hardware which serves no useful purpose at all to the end-user. :mad:

HDMI cables will transmit audio and video digitally so hopefully you won't have to pay silly prices to get good cables. They'll all be in or around the same cost.

Originally posted by KraGorn
I suspect HDMI will remain for all intenst and purpose unbroken. Hell, I don't even care that it remains so, what p***es me off is the increased cost of all these protection schemes being added to hardware which serves no useful purpose at all to the end-user. :mad:

I wish that manufacturers would produce products for the benifit of their customers rather than treating us all as criminals. If they actually sold their product at a reasonable price instead of repeatedly ripping us off the need for protection systems would dissapear since a large proportion on the popluation would buy it rather than try and get around it.

Good example look at EasyJet, low priced flights rather than overpriced flights with a "free meal". If DVD's sold for under a tenner for a latest release many many more people would buy them and I honesty believe there would be a lot less piracy.

A friend of mine either rips a copy or dload it from the net and burns it to a DVD which he sells for a fiver with a printed cover and with a picture on the disc itself. His copies are Macro/Region/RCE free and normally just as good as a geniune only most of the extras are left off to make room for the film :laugh: but for only a fiver who cares.

well give your m8 a good kicking as its people like him who are causing all this fuss.

sorry piracy is a crime.:lesson:

Absolutley. And that won't be the only crime he's commiting (tax evasion, benfit fraud etc, they all go hand in hand with much of this type of activity).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom