1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI connection on new LCD TVs -is 1 enough?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Boss Hogg, May 26, 2005.

1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to purchase a Hitachi 32PD7200, if I can find one in stock, but was thinking ahead to the future and my future connection requirements.

To get the BEST picture and sound out of the latest HD ready LCDs it seems like an HDMI connection is the way forward... so... if I have a HDMI ready DVD player, HD Sky with HDMI and a new X-Box and/or PS3 i'll need 3 or 4 HDMI connections :eek: .

I know the new Tosh's will have 2 HDMI connections, which is a step in the right direction, but has anybody else considered this or got a view/workaround... like is HDMI to DVI connection thru some adapter possible or are there some new sets around the corner with multiple HDMI connections :confused:

Cheers.

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yes, there are plenty of HDMI-DVI cables and adapters out there.

Both the HDMI and DVI inputs on the Hitachi are HDCP-compliant, so that gives you two inputs you can use for protected content.

3. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    do you not have an AV amp? please dont tell me all you current equipment is direct to your TV?

by the time all the HDMI inputs are needed, hopefully HDMI ready AV amps will be available anyway, so ya will only need one input on your TV.

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only have 'regular Sky' and a non-HDMI DVD player hooked-up (both direct) right now to a 17" Sony LCD. DVD will be changing to a HDMI one soon (next week) and HD-Sky, PS3 etc will follow when available.

I don't have surround sound and don't plan on having it (room set-up is a nightmare) so have never really considered an AV Amp before. I run a seperates set-up for CD and TV audio (Arcam CD, Roksan Kandy Amp with Quad 11Ls singing).

To be honest, I am only getting round to sorting the 'full AV' set-up now with arrival of the new Hitachi. Might need to consider an HDMI AV Amp when I eventually end up with a bunch of quality HDMI AV sources... once you start spending £££ it never stops!!

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Many AV receivers probably will support HDMI switching in future, though how many ports is going to be down to the marketing departments :)

In the meantime Gefen already make a 4:1 switcher with IR remote, so there are fixes available to you now. No doubt other brands will come along too.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. BobD

BobD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the PS3 is quoted as having 2 HDMI connections so will it be capable of loop through in the same way a SCART from the video can be looped through a SKY box or a freeview box?
    Or maybe the SKY HD box will have loop through like the current ones?

7. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read somewhere that these 2 ports will be for use of 2 HD screens simultaneously.. :confused:

Ben

8. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that too, would be amazing gaming if you could afford 2 large, decent HD TVs :)