HDMI Connection Issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by v500dj, Aug 13, 2013.

1. v500dj

v500dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I bought a HDMI matrix to make life easier in my new home. I have a 4x4 and currently have 3 tv's output and PS3/Sky as inputs.

2 out of the 3 TV's are fine and fully function with IR over HDMI but the kitchen TV is struggling and the issue has worsened over the last 3 months for what I believe is no reason?

I used to be able to use the sky remote on the IR over HDMI and that function has gone, now the picture is hit and miss, sometimes turning green and dissapearing and also have random sound outtages of about 2 seconds. This can be very frustrating. Currently I have the IR over HDMI connection plugged in and also an elbow connection as the wall mount is low profile. Is the fact I have 2 further connections before it enters the TV weakening it?

All the HDMi cables are in the wall and papered over so relacing would be the last thing on my mind as I still have my bathrooms to do yet :thumbsdow

Any advice/help appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    How long is the run to the kitchen compared to the other two runs ?

Picture going green says its losing or has an intermittent fault in the HDMI connection on one of the TMDS channels. The elbow connection could be at fault here , especially if added to a run already over meters in length.

Any tight bends in the cable run could also be causing this.

3. v500dj

v500dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It is 15m...I had a funny feeling you would ask this. Its the longest run in the house. No tight bends on the run.

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,643
    15m is really pushing it for a HDMI cable run , and such a long cable cannot be guaranteed to work with anything !

Some devices have a stronger output signal than others , so the cable may work with other equipment , but it is on the very edge of the spec limits and could start acting up at any time.

You could try a cheap powered switch at the TV end , this may boost the signal for you and make everything OK. That is the only option I can think of that doesnt involve changing cables.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping/dp/B001D9P1OW/ref=pd_sim_ce_7

Note that any switch you pick must have its own 5v power supply like the one above , all HDMI switches must be powered , the ones that dont have their own power steal if from the cable 5v line , and you are already losing signal so cannot afford to lose any more !!

If that doesnt work out for you , then really , the only option guaranteed to work is to move away from the HDMI cable and get something like these ,

Neet® - HDMI Extender over Cat5 / Cat5e / Cat6: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You would need to buy two runs of CAT5e cables of the same length to go with these, they send the HDMI signal over the CAT5e cables and dont have the same length limits as actual HDMI cables.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,464
    And keep in mind ‘IR over HDMI’ is a completely non-standard use of HDMI cables – have you tried removing the IR dongles on the problem cable run?

Joe

6. v500dj

v500dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys, I removed the IR over HDMI and now I have a consistent picture and sound. PS3 still has a bit of a grainy picture but I can live with that!