1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Confusion

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Robz, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Robz

Robz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've ordered a Sony KDL-S32A12U HD Ready LCD screen and fancy having a go at upscaling DVDs with a dedicated DVD Player (when i get it).

I'm under the impression i need a HDMI cable for optimum performance. The extent of my HC cabling knowledge is basically S-Video and RGB Scarts (video) and optical and coaxial (audio) which i believe are all analogue source whereas HDMI is digital.

So ... If it's digital and it's sending the source material via a bunch of I's and O's why are HDMI cables so expensive? I can understand all the gold plated, shielded this that and the other componentry for scarts and the like but if HDMI is just transfering a pure signal why do the prices differ depending on make? If it's binary coming out then surely it's the same going in, there's nothing to degrade it in such a way??

Or am i missing something?

Some HDMI cables are just silly money. Those that use them what do you use and how much was it?

Sorry for the mini rant, i'm still trying to gen up on all this HD lingo and had a few questions i had to ask.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Robz

Lots of posts on this subject - as you say 1's and 0's but they have to be 'transmitted' and whilst there is error correction in the system its still an electrical signal and external and cable properties can and do make a difference to what you see on screen.

Over short HDMI runs (less than 5m) a lot of folk find many cables offer pretty similar characteristics - though once you start to upscale signals to 720P and or introduce HD sources you may find the better engineered cables do make a difference in your set up.

Keep in mind too the lower cost cables tend to be made to less strict tolerances so differences between samples do occur.

Your best option is to find a Dealer who supplies a range of HDMI cables and is willing to supply you with the required Samples of what they supply so you can evaluate for yourself in your own system.

Best regards

Joe

PS Price is not a good indicator of a good or bad cable; well engineer cables need not cost a fortune and equally they may not be available in the Bargain Bucket stall either!

3. bri.s

bri.s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You are basically right in what you say but you are not going to get the big cable players like Ixos etc admitting it. There has been a few test comparisons on this matter with cheap and expensive cables under 7M in lengh and the experts say they found no difference to justify the price of the dearer models. There will of course be others to dispute this but some people still think dearer must be better.