HDMI-CEC - Help?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BertieMK, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BertieMK

BertieMK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I have a Pioneer VSX-919 receiver and a KRP-600A TV. I vaguely understand that in theory I should be able to control On-Off of the TV via the VSX remote using the HDMI-CEC protocol. Can someone please point me to a guide explaining how to make this happen? Or help me through it?

Thanks in advance

Bert

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    turn on kurolink on both devices.

3. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    yep simple as what psm1 says just enable it on both devices.....

4. BertieMK

BertieMK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks I will try, how stupid do I feel? :) Got al wrapped up in the manuals gobbledegook around this stuff.

Another question - if I upgrade the VSX-919 to a Yammie RX-V673, but keep the Pio 600A TV, will HDMI-CEC work between the brands? Pioneer have a rep for being quite proprietary with stuff like this...

Thanks again.

Bert

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    The HDMI control is a standard so no matter what it is called by each manufacturer it should work with each other. Kurolink has to use the same standard as all the others.

6. kangocartman

kangocartman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A bit obvious but worth mentioning make sure your HDMI cable allows cec control I've just purchased a cable and found it doesn't:rolleyes:

7. BertieMK

BertieMK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes I need to check that as i have turned all options on and it isn't working.

One other thing, all documentation seems to assume I want the TV to be effectively the master, so source devices follow the power state of the TV. I want the opposite - I want the TV to power up and down following the state of the AVR. Can CEC definitely work this way?

8. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    No CEC can definitely not work this way. The amp's power status can follow the TV's, but not the other way around. The (logical) assumption is that when you turn on the TV, then you intend to watch it and hence need sound; hence the amp needs to be powered up and switched to the TV's audio output (aka ARC).

The other way around is not logical - when you turn on the amp you clearly want sound, but you might just be listening to the AVR's radio etc. However, when you select an AV source, then it's logical that you want to watch it on the TV and therefor the CEC definition requires that the TV be powered up and its input switched to the relevant HDMI feed.

The only problem in the above is that the source is responsible for indicating its intentions, but some sources, such as SKY, are autistic.