HDMI CEC command extension

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by PseudoRandom, Feb 3, 2014.

1. PseudoRandom

PseudoRandom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have a Pioneer PDP-4280 TV which supports control of other equipment using CEC. By using the "HDMI control" button I can bring up a small temporary sub-window that allows media player functions like Play, Ffwd, Rwd, etc. to be sent to the source under control. (The source in the case is a XMBC player which doesn't have an IR sensor.) Otherwise it seems only the four direction keys and OK are available directly.

TVs that do have play/pause etc. buttons on the remote (to control other kit) can send those commands directly using CEC. However, the PDP-4280 TV remote does not have those buttons.

I use a Harmony remote for my AV system which can be programmed for arbitrary IR codes per button. Is there an established way of sending media playing functions to the TV directly that would get passed on (eg. by using Pioneer DVD player IR codes or something) to avoid me having to use the inconvenient sub-window? Otherwise I see my only choice as buying an IR remote dongle for the XBMC source.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You can only facilitate control of other CEC enabled devices via HDMI if the device you are controlling them from actual include the control capabilities. If there are no buttons or associated commands the you cannot facilitate the associated commands unless there are discrete codes available to you for such commands. Why bother programming such codes into a learning remote if the learning remote can simply control the device in question without the need to use HDMI CEC and why use CEC if you've a Harmony remote? CEC is limited when compared to the command capabilities and flexibility associated with using a universal remote such as one of the Harmony remotes. You can do anything HDMI CEC can it terms of control plus a lot more with a Harmony remote. Forgeyt HDMI Control and the problems associated with it and simply use your Harmony remote ;)

3. PseudoRandom

PseudoRandom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi dante01. Thanks for replying.

I realise that using the Harmony to directly control the other device would be optimal, but the other device doesn't have an IR receiver with which to do so.

The question is whether there is another option besides buying an IR USB dongle like the FLIRC.

Whilst the remote for the TV has no buttons to directly represent the extra functions, the TV itself does send the CEC commands via a more convoluted control interface. I'm wondering if those commands can be generated from a remote key press not present on the original remote.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    You'd need the codes associated with any discrete remote control capabilities. Maybe contact the TV's manufacturer to ask whether they are willing to disclose to you the HEX codes associated with any such commands? You'd then need to impliment these codes in association with the TV's Harmony entry in yourHarmony account. This can either be done manually or you can ask Logitech to do it for you if you give them the codes. Geven that these commands were never intended for IR in conjunction with the TV, it is doubtful that discrete commands and associated codes will exist?

5. PseudoRandom

PseudoRandom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hmm... I've just found some code-sets online that suggest most Pio PDPs have the same button codes. Some of those TVs have media playback codes for the remote. I wonder if those would generate the correct CEC commands on my TV?

I'll have to try this later!

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,055
    Download the remote commands associated with those TVs to your Harmony remote and try them. If they work then include the new TV in the same activities you want to utilise the CEC commands with and assign keys that correspond to those commands on your handset. You don't need the codes if other Pioeer TV remotes can control your TV, just use those remotes to control your TV.

7. PseudoRandom

PseudoRandom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sigh... Well, it's not having any of it. :(

Although various PRO models of Pio TV list IR codes for media functions, adding those models to the Harmony set-up does not reveal any media keys for those devices. It's almost like they're not actually on the remotes at all.

I realize I could probably ask Logitech to add the codes manually, but this was only intended to be a quick test. I think that buying something like a FLIRC will allow so much more flexible control of menus and other options that this CEC path is not really the way to go anyway.

Thanks for your help.