HDMI / Cat5 Matrix

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by garyaxis, Feb 10, 2009.

1. garyaxis

garyaxis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good HDMI matrix switch on a reasonable budget ? It will need to service the following

At least 4 Inputs : sky+ HD x 2 , Blu-ray & Request IMC F Series Server. Maybe a couple more ports to future proof ?!

From the AV head / rack I have Cat-5 run to every room in the house. Full HDMI lead to the cinema room, but the rest of the house is currently standard. Will need at least 4 , maybe 9 outputs.

Probably best if anyone can recommend a 4 x 4 matrix, and then I can look at the bigger versions if required / supplied.

All help appreciated

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    hmm the nightmare that is HDMI matrix distribution and HDMI cat5 baluns.... There are some new products coming in the next few months but still waiting for HMDI over Cat5 matrix with Programmeable EDID. Interested your planning to use an IMC which isnt available yet in the UK. Do you PLan to use the Request for music of just video?

3. garyaxis

garyaxis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have installed the IMC as just released (could be one of the first) and plan for both Video & music. Know there are lots of rumours about the validity of the request system, vs the likes of Escient. There are so many grey areas over DVD licensing, and they will all argue theirs is the legal and the competition is on a tight rope, however my personal opinion is it is a better system,for numerous reasons including cost and I am satisfied that it is fine. Not fully installed but should be by the end of the day.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    You must be one of the first I really like the look of the IMC be interested in how you get on with it. Have your sorted your HDMI distribution issue?

5. garyaxis

garyaxis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will let you know how it goes - I am like a kid at Xmas at moment ! On the HDMI distribution, still investigating. Have asked the Company who are doing the install for their opinion - they are good guys and told me to wait a bit as there are so many issues with composite / hdmi and the pricing ! So many manufacturers starting to drop the composite connections (sky HD for 1) and I am told it is because HDMI has better copyright protection. I am keen to try & sort something, so asked him to look at the other thread responses and advise (as it was getting a little over my head) though I seem to be learning fast.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I think you mean component rather than composite, THE HDCP copy protection in HDMI is one of the issues with distribution, there are solutions to the problem tho. The mian issue with HDMI is the EDID handshake. How are you controlling the system?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  7. garyaxis

garyaxis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are right - component not composite - told you I was learning ! Going to use an RTI system - RTI RP6 , RM433 and the new T3V which is supposidly launced in April (been advised it will have something new over the existing T3 which will allow me to control Request.) However I am also told they are notoriously late with their releases so the physical handset is still up in the air, but the rest going in. This will also solve the problem with the 2 x sky HD boxes which apparently use the same code to make life tricky.....

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    RTi will act as your control system which will allow for WiFi/RF control of equipment this means all the intellinegnce of the system will be in the RTi network. Not sure of the RTi interface for Request I think its something they were working on I know there is pronto script(full 2 way integration with album art etc on remote) for request Audio servers and the IMC can be controlled via IR, Its an exciting project you have. I would have liked to have been involved.

9. hasselhoff

hasselhoff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello All,

Gary's installer here!

Gary asked me to have a look at what all you clearly very knowledgable chaps have been telling him about the ins and outs of HD distribution, so I thought I'd chirp up with my input in while I eat my half time footie oranges (come on England!)

It all started when Gary (who runs the warehouse/courier service that we use for our installation business) pulled me to one side about 3 months ago and said 'I need some tellies sorting out for my house', or something along those lines. 3 months later and as you can see, Gary has come down with a wallet crippling dose of the AV bug.

We're nearing the end of what now looks to be like 'phase 1' of the installation and have the following set-up:

RTI RP6/RM433
    RTI T1 (waiting for new zigbee compatible T3V for Request integration, hopefully!)
    Panasonic TH-50PF11
    Denon AVR-1909*
    Samsung BDP-1500
    Sonos
    Request F-Series & IMC (works as video server and server for Sonos)
    2x Sky HD
    RF System with SPC4 & TV Link Plus (TV Link Plus to allow control of Blu-Ray & IMC while he decides if he can blow more cash on RTI remotes for the rest of the house!)
    A house flooded with CAT5, approx 6 screens (I think?!)

We have 1-2 days more work to go as the rack is still being wired up by my install guys, although to be fair to them I have somewhat hampered their progress by constantly suggesting exciting gadgets to feed Gary's new-found gadget addiction and playing around with the new IMC. I'll be happy to report back more on that when I've got it working properly - we became unstuck tonight on a couple of annoying issues as I was running out the door to catch the footie. Will be speaking to Invision/Request tomorrow...

Anyway, back to the point in question - HD distribution. I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to sensibly priced HD distribution to be honest, the whole market is a right bloody mess as far as I can see. I'm loathed to install an HDMI based solution (although having said that, we have just specified 2 projects with Crestron DM, but that's a different kettle of fish). If any of you guys have *installed* something that works, I'd love to hear from you. Joe Fernands 6x6 matrix looks pretty cool? I've been a big fan of Smart-e these last few years and was delighetd when they announced their HDMI system last summer, but having spoken to them this week it doesn't look like landing until June and even that sounded like a best case scenario. Component based distribution just seems like a bad idea with the way things are going, so we're left with, err, not a lot (unless Gary wants to pony up for Crestron Digital Media, but I think Gary's wife already hates me enough as it is, without him blowing 50k worth of house extention money on yet another gadget)

So, we're all ears guys! Looking forward to you chiming in :)

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Interesting mix, the good the bad and the ugly? ;)

HDMI disttibution is a real PITA done a couple but each was frought.... there are some nice bits coming (isn't there always) at the moment I havent seen anything bigger than 4x4 i would use (havent seen the RT comm but joes stuff is normally top notch) its EDID thats critical.

I am a big fan of smart-e especially now they have the new IR system, and i noticed someone has annouced 1080p HDMI and IR over a single cat5e/6 so its looks possible.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,513
    Hello hasselhoff

HDCP and EDID can be a pain with HDMI - though the installs where we have supplied/used the RTCommUSA/Digital Extender gear have been working very well.

The New Octava HDMX44-UK (Media Factory - Connect, Control and Install your Audio Visual equipment!) may be a good starting point as its relatively low cost and again were getting good feedback from installers. We've just initiated a control side Firmware rewrite to better suit what the code guys want when integrating using RS232.

Another option is to combine the likes of the NeoPro Concord YUV+Audio over CAT5 8x8 Matrix (The Media Factory) and our 'converter' units (Media Factory - Vision HDMI to Component converter) that allow an HDMI only Source to work in the analogue YUV world :)

Joe