HDMI/CAT Distribution Question - Will this work?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bentley-farm, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bentley-farm

bentley-farm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I am wanting to replace my existing tvlink loftbox distribution with a HDMI over CAT setup.

I already have cat wiring going to each room from a central hub, and was wondering/hoping the following setup would work...

My Sky HD box is in the living room, could I use a HDMI to CAT 5/6 extender to send this signal to the central hub (under the stairs) then convert back to HDMI, then split this signal with a 8 way HDMI splitter, then resend it out with more CAT 5/6 extenders to each of the rooms that have a tv in and still have IR control over the sky box from each room.

From a connections point of view, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but are there technical issues that would prevent it? From my Googling it seems that hdbaset may be the best option for the extenders as they appear to be more robust?(is that correct?)

If all the above is possible, can anyone advise on any particular manufacturers and models as there seems to be an endless supply?

Thanks all in advance.

Rob

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    In theory that should work though it maybe better to relocate your Skybox to the understairs otherwise you are potentially introducing a quite a few connections.

HdBaset is no more reliable than dual cat5/6 systems but it does support longer cable lengths and a number of extra features. Though you would have to weigh this up against the cost.

The IR is potentialy tricky if you are intending to use the CAT5/6 for this as the splitter would have to have this facility and also then be able to feed it onto the Sky box.

Do you have coax outlets in each of the rooms at the moment as these potentially could be used for IR control of the Skybox via magic Eyes.

To give you some idea of cost

Dual Cat5/6 extender roughly £100 each
    8 way Splitter £180

so based on 8 rooms plus the main room total price of £1080

Using HDBaset the extenders will be approximately £350 each

so total price £3330

We have just launched a new product called HdJuiceBox Ethernet which uses IP to transmit and therefore you would just connect a transmitter to your SKybox and a Cat5 cable, locate a 8/12 way Gigabit Network switch in the central (understairs) location and then connect the receivers to the CAt5/6 cable and to the TVs.

It also carries IR so you could control the Skybox from any location ?

A 1-8 system is £1558.00 with a 8 way Gigabit Switch being £54.00

All of the systems above (and some othees) can be found via our An extensive range of HDMI equipment : JUST HDMI website.

If you have any questions let me know.

Seb

3. bentley-farm

bentley-farm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Seb

Thanks for your quick reply!!

I REALLY like the look of the HDMI Juice Box! And actually already have a Gigabit Network switch with some spare ports from part of my existing computer network (a 16 port switch) can this system share the computer network, or is it better/required to be separate?

The whole system is more than what I was wanting to spend, but I particularly like that by the looks of it I can start with a few rooms and just buy new receivers as and when?

One query I have regarding this system, if I wanted to add a second transmitter, how would I go about switching between the two sources?

Are there any drawbacks with this sort of system as opposed to what I was originally thinking?

Thanks

Rob

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Rob

We have tested up to a 4 x 16 system on a network with other IP traffic and not got any problems. However it really depends what is going down the network at the time.

You can add a 2nd transmitter at any time, you just need to pair each receiver with the 2nd transmitter (you can even name them). The remote supplied with the receivers provides switching between sources.

Drawbacks

1. As it is an IP device it does use compression but we performed a blind test on SKy HD between systems connected via HDMI cable, HDBaseT and HdJuiceBox and our staff couldn't spot the HdJuiceBox.

2. It only supports a maximum of 4 transmitters

We also have 5% discount for Avforum members

Seb

5. bentley-farm

bentley-farm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Seb

Sounds ideal, I'll start with using the existing switch, and can always change to a separate one at a later date.I'll start with just a 1 transmitter and 2 receiver setup as thats about the initial budget.

Is this all I need? HDJuiceBox Ethernet 1 Transmitter to Multiple Receivers

Great news regarding the 5% discount, how do I go about getting that on the order?

Thanks again,

Rob

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

Yes that's all you need. Use DISC5 at checkout.

We are out of stock at the moment but expecting stock in within the next couple of weeks

7. bentley-farm

bentley-farm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent, thanks!

Hopefully your stock will arrive ontime, as I need to be up and running by saturday 24th August.

Cheers

Rob

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I hope so as well as we have a few back orders, if you PM me your email address I will keep you updated

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    If you retain the RF distribution to cover IR our Octava HDMI over IP is £1.080.00 for 1x Transmitter + 8 x Receiver.

I'd suggest a single Tx + Rx be run as a test as I'm not convinced by claims of folk not being able to tell compression is at play with HDMI over IP - I've yet to see a system which doesn't look processed.

HDMI over IP has its place (esp for commercial applications) though maybe not on main screens in a residential system - you may find it fine on secondary screens and use something else on primary screens.

Joe

10. bentley-farm

bentley-farm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe

Thanks also for replying, but I have already ordered the system suggested by Seb now, so hopefully that will work without any issues.

Cheers

Rob