1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hdmi carrying sound?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Barend, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi all,

Thinking about buying the new Marantz SR-9600 all singing all dancing rreceiver.
    My DV-9500 has no i-link but it does sport hdmi output.
    The DV-9600 (expected in September) has i link added, but I don't intend to swap just for that option...
    Would it be a viable option to route this through the receiver to my DVDO HD+ scaler, so I can use the hdmi sound in my receiver?
    Will hdmi also support sacd and dvda ?
    Will hdmi transported 6ch audio sound better than analog?

Thanks

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    HDMI 1.1 will indeed support digital SACD/DVD-A no way to say if it will sound better but as HDMI is still very new you need to check with your dealer and Marantz if the chipsets in your DV-9500 are capable of SACD/DVD-A over HDMI and that the receiver is also capable the HDMI cables can carry it but early HDMI chipsets were stereo only, multichannel chips have only come on in the last few months

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    thanks Hornydragon,

It's a bit confusing, since I've been reading 1.1 only supports dvd-a but not (yet) sacd.
    Also, unlike i-link it does not seem to be a clocked signal, it appears that's causing jitter, something (they say...) dsd is very suspectible to.
    I may just get the Marantz receiver and see what happens...I'm certainly not going to change my DV-9500 for the DV-9600 just for the i-link capability...
    Cheers