Question HDMI Cabling Solution?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by markgixer6, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. markgixer6

markgixer6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of upgrading my TV and AV receiver to 4K and HDR. Currently looking at KD-49XF9005 TV and Sony STR-DN1080 Receiver. Currently I have Sky Q box, PS3 and Sony Blu-Ray and player (and TV) hooked up to my current receiver Yamaha RX-V673 through 4x 7m HDMI cables which run under my living room carpet. These cables are from 2007 and possibly 1.3 spec, so I'm assuming they will need to be upgraded for 4K and HDR. Could I use an HDMI switch in this setup? Presumably I then get 3 short cables from the devices to the switch and have 2 long cables (1 to the receiver from the switch, and 1 from the receiver to the TV). Or is there a better way to set this up? Any advice gratefully received thanks.

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,249
    So just to be clear your sources appear to be with the TV but the AVR is somewhere else?

Cables are not made to a specific HDMI standard, they come in Standard, High Speed and Premium certification (the latter includes a hologram logo on the pack). They are not made or wired differently to support 4K or HDR but as new formats have come out the bandwidth required down the cable has increased. Some older cables including the ridiculously overpriced ones haven't worked but ironically some of the cheaper ones have with newer formats.

It may well be that your existing cables work fine. Besides PS3 and Blu ray player will continue to be 1080p until you replace them.

7m is under the 8m limit that normally falls foul of the 4k limit so it would be a case of suck and see if it works.

You could introduce a switch if you wanted but the price of cables vs a switch that properly supports 4k, a lot still don't and you are running two cables means running a couple more will be cheaper. Also you then need to switch the source separately which means using a Harmony remote or similar for a smooth process.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,434
    As above your layout is pretty 'non-standard' - most systems will have the Source devices colocated with the AVR and use short HDMI cables between the Source and the AVR and one HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV (that would usually be the only place you would have a long HDMI cable).

Where you replace you current AVR and TV and want to support 4K UHD Capable Sources it will be trial and error with your installed HDMI cables (assuming you are not wanting to physically move your Source(s) or AVR - the installed cables may be fine or may need to be updated.

Joe