Hdmi cables

Edgie70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all , thinking of getting some new hdmi cables to go with my new TV I'm getting , might get sky Q in the future , I'm currently using the hdmi cables that came with my sky+ hd , just wondered if anyone recommends any good shielded high speed cables , thanks

Just get ones that are certified, you can check their certification with the application from HDMI.org , which of course would work better if you can check them in store instead of after it arrives.

Unless the cables are faulty or you need longer ones, save your money. You will not notice any difference whatsoever in their performance.

Unless the cables are faulty or you need longer ones, save your money. You will not notice any difference whatsoever in their performance.
The TV I'm getting has hdmi 2.0 sockets , I'm presuming that the sky+ hd cable ( says high speed on the cable ) will be ok on there ?

It depends on the length of the cable. A standard cable will carry 4K provided it is very short. A high speed will certainly carry 4K for 2M without issue.

The Sky cables are actually pretty good quality (For a freebie), so I would suggest you try them first and only upgrade if you need to.

It depends on the length of the cable. A standard cable will carry 4K provided it is very short. A high speed will certainly carry 4K for 2M without issue.

The Sky cables are actually pretty good quality (For a freebie), so I would suggest you try them first and only upgrade if you need to.
Thanks , the max length is only a metre long , I think they are only 1.4 type hdmi cables because they are quite old but still work , I take it a 1.4 cable will still be ok on a 2.0 socket ?

What do you think about the Amazon basics hdmi cables ?

Thanks , the max length is only a metre long , I think they are only 1.4 type hdmi cables because they are quite old but still work , I take it a 1.4 cable will still be ok on a 2.0 socket ?

What do you think about the Amazon basics hdmi cables ?
The amazon basic hdmi cables are very good and all you need I've got 4 in my setup which is a 4k hdr oled TV and 4k media player ect I've never had any problems just have a look at how many people have bought them

HDMI sockets are all the same. The 1.4 & 2.0 / 2.2 standards apply to the signal, not the plug or socket. The better quality cables just have more shielding and are made to a closer tolerance, so work better at really high bit rates. Short cables are less susceptible to interference and cable tolerance, hence why you can get away with them.

The amazon basic hdmi cables are very good and all you need I've got 4 in my setup which is a 4k hdr oled TV and 4k media player ect I've never had any problems just have a look at how many people have bought them
Thanks , if I decide to get new cables , even if it's just to get a matching set lol I'll probably get the Amazon ones

HDMI sockets are all the same. The 1.4 & 2.0 / 2.2 standards apply to the signal, not the plug or socket. The better quality cables just have more shielding and are made to a closer tolerance, so work better at really high bit rates. Short cables are less susceptible to interference and cable tolerance, hence why you can get away with them.
Gotcha , so you can put a 1.4 cable in a 2.0 socket with no issues , thank you

The cables are just 19 copper wires in a jacket, they don't know how fast they're supposed to operate, but I can tell you that I have some old cables here that were designed for only HDMI 1.4 that are fully capable of operating at 120 Hertz with UHD & HDR.

The TV I'm getting has hdmi 2.0 sockets , I'm presuming that the sky+ hd cable ( says high speed on the cable ) will be ok on there ?

Yup, 2.0 didn't introduce any new cable specs. High Speed was still the tightest requirements (although they did include a Premium certification to start explicitly testing for higher resolutions).

Not all high speed HDMI cables are the same in my recent experience. I had issues with enhanced mode on my Sony XH95 TV, I tried several high speed cables from the same manufacturer and none worked (although for non enhanced mode they were fine), I tried an AmazonBasics premium high speed HDMI cable which worked. Its beyond me why premium cables aren't labelled as such so they can be identified easily.

The link to HDMI.org above is all you need to know about cables and shopping for cables.
HDMI.org is the sole licensee for all HDMI products and the organisation that makes the "category " standard that all official cables are tested against.

Some important points for a quick reference.

HDMI version numbers do not apply to cables , only electronics chipsets.

Cables can be "standard" , high speed , high speed premium , or ultra.

All cables are backwards compatible.

Shop for the official logos , the logo means its been tested against the standard and guaranteed to work.
These days there is an app for your phone that you can use to scan the logo and verify if its genuine.

Genuine Ultra speed cables carrying the logo can be had for as little as a tenner , so if you are buying these days , that's what you want.

The cable tests have always been very forward thinking , so high speed cables from a decade ago should still be fine for up to UHD at 60fps.
So you don't need new cables with a new TV , try what you have first , if they don't work , then go shopping.

Ordinary passive cables are good to 7 meters , after that , you need to be looking at powered options like extenders or hybrid fibre cables.

Most important point , ALL cable sellers are unscrupulous , they all use marketing terms and hdmi version numbers that don't actually apply to cables and that is against hdmi.orgs licensing terms.

Pay no attention to this waffle , and shop for certified cables carrying the official logos , its the only way to be sure.

Last edited:

I have same problem, Thanks for the info.

I've used tripp lite before and the seem perfect. To be honest if the free cable you have is not causing any problems, I'd just keep it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom