1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dalespitfire, Jan 24, 2005.

1. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys.

Apologies if this question has been asked before :)

I've just bought a Tosh DLP and coupled it with the Panasonic S97 DVD player.

Obviously I have this connected by HDMI, using the cable supplied with the Panny.

The picture quality is just excellent, bordering outstanding on some discs. Question is, can I improve this yet further by replacing the stock HDMI cable for a "superior" cable e.g Wireworld/Chord or even Supra? :lease:

Any opinions from the experts out there?

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

2. Eitzel

Eitzel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Top Secret-Anyone coming anywhere near my Pioneer
    Ratings:
    +142
  3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I would doubt it very much, I was speaking to the guys at Meridian the other day and they said that they have run tests on loads of different cables and they all give the same results.

You may find that if you go too long you get a drop off in quality as it is no longer within specification, but this will probably show as speckles or similar, not ringing as you may get on an analogue cable.

It was intersing to hear someone who has tested £500 cables against £10 cables say that they could not either see or test any difference.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    dalespitfire

The effect (or lack of) that one HDMI cable produces on your video image over another HDMI cable is usually noticeable once you go for longer length cables and start to transmit ED or HD signals.

Some folk say they 'see' and measure no discernable difference between different brands of HDMI cables while others say they do 'see' a difference - your best option is to get a cable on Sale or Return and try it out.

Once you've decided on a cable the next step to visual nirvana would be to have your system professionally calibrated - an ISF certified technician will undertake a full calibration for 250.00 GBP.

In our 'non scientific' tests we find we can often 'see' no real discernable difference between two HDMI cables when viewing a video image; whereas you can easily 'see' a difference in the video image if your generating a test pattern on the same set-up!

I guess then you have to decide will knowing there's a difference in the test pattern annoy you or not!!!

Best regards

Joe

PS Price is not an indicator of a good or bad cable!

5. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Many thanks for the knowledgable replies guys :smashin:

Joe - I appreciate what you are saying about cost not making a cable better.

If I was to change cables I would be looking at:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/ProductID/11152/GroupID/709/CategoryID/2426/v/

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2426/v/23e9e39e-8488-4750-b830-cd2af6f6930c

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2426/v/23e9e39e-8488-4750-b830-cd2af6f6930c

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3753

Any recommendations in your experience towards any of these in particular?

I hear good things about wireworld cables, but like the sound of the spec of the Monster....

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello dalespitfire

As before I'd want to ensure anything I ordered was on sale or return - there's no guarantee any of these will offer a discernable difference on a short cable run.

I could have most of the cables you highlight available to our customers - though we tend to favour something not on your list :)

Best regards

Joe

7. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for all the help. Go on then Joe. I'm curious now....!!

What id the alternative that you would suggest?

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464