1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by higenbs1, Mar 1, 2004.

1. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I heard a lot of talk recently about HMDI incorporating DD/DTS/DVD-A/SACD encrypted sound at some point in the future. What's the point? Who wants digital sound routed to their plasma/projector?
    Is there any benefit in waiting that I've missed?

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No one .. but routing an HDMI output from a DVD player to an amp means delivering digital multi-channel audio and not needing expensive DACs in the DVD player as well as the amp .. from the amp one would then of course need at least a DVI output to connect to the display but in reality it'll be HDMI too.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    and with digital amplification etc you can get an all digital signal path from media to your speakers. reducing noise etc whether it is a good thing is a different matter HDMI is sort of Digital Scart cable.

4. higenbs1

higenbs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    But aren't Firewire and Denon Link the same thing, only seperate to the picture element. I always thought that picture information was best sent direct to display, rather than through amps.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I guess in theory you're right, the fewer stages involved in signal transmission the better, OTOH the sheer convenience of having the amp/receiver act as a signal switcher between many sources and a single display means that many owners will like to have HDMI on the amp.

Also of course HDMI is in theory vendor-neutral, unlike proprietary schemes like Denon's .. Firewire is also bogged down in the politics of the PC world which in turn is hinfering its' use outside of PCs/Macs etc.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I guess in theory you're right, the fewer stages involved in signal transmission the better, OTOH the sheer convenience of having the amp/receiver act as a signal switcher between many sources and a single display means that many owners will like to have HDMI on the amp.

Also of course HDMI is in theory vendor-neutral, unlike proprietary schemes like Denon's .. Firewire is also bogged down in the politics of the PC world which in turn is hinfering its' use outside of PCs/Macs etc.

And of course that's the RIAA's wet dream .. end of the 'anolog hole' ... the oft-mooted Secure Audio Path in action. :D