HDMI cables keep dying, help!

Slawek

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just got a panasonic tcp42u2 with a cogeco pace dc550d hd receiver, and I have them hooked up via hdmi. In two days I went through two cables. When I'm going through hd channels, the screen goes weird as if it's adjusting to a different resolution like going from sd to hd. Then the screen goes black and the cable is dead. This literally happened to two cables within 48 hours.

What is going on here? They are just cheap hdmi cables but whatever they shouldn't just keep dying ...??

Have you tried the ‘dead’ cables with another Source or Display device?

Joe

I did and they work... Hmm. I called my provider and they said it's probably a faulty box. After a power cycle the cable box worked again so it can't be the cables

it may just be as you surmised. the tv could be changing resolution. i dont know the box you are using, but if you can, select one output line rate (1080i perhaps) and one aspect ratio (16:9 for example). This should give everything a fair chance of settling quickly after changing channels.

Well in settings I have YES for 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, and 1080p24pass.

They are sending me a new box anyway so we will see

The TV doesn’t change resolutions – it always displays images at one set resolution (its pixel array) – what it does have to do is react to any changes in output being sent by a source or multiple sources.

If your Set-top box is capable of receiving both SD and HD signals it may be its outputting SD as SD and HD as HD so the TV sees a different incoming signal and has to change its internal processing to suit.

Hopefully swapping out your set-top will resolve things.

Joe

Yes, of course, the resolution is the same. What I meant was the tv would have to adapt to a changing input - as you so rightly said. I am not sure if this box can output just one line rate, like some Sky boxes. If it does, it may solve the problem and the original box may be ok.
Let's hope the new box solves the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom