• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI cables for 3DTV

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
As I understand it, a 3D broadcast is much the same bandwidth as an HD broadcast but I was advised to buy a better quailty HDMI cable from one of the guys in the Sony Center the other day.

I know the differences between a £2 HDMI and £200 HDMI, which is nothing but marketing blurb, but is there any truth in what sort of spec or quality HDMi cable needed for 3D ?

hoegaardenruls

Standard Member
One of my cables is a 10m Neet supplied item bought from Amazon for about £39 - no complaints whatsoever, image or build quality.

As long as the shielding is effective and reaches a minimum standard, I don't see any reason why increasing price for a digital cable makes any difference - analogue yes, but not digital.

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
One of my cables is a 10m Neet supplied item bought from Amazon for about £39 - no complaints whatsoever, image or build quality.

As long as the shielding is effective and reaches a minimum standard, I don't see any reason why increasing price for a digital cable makes any difference - analogue yes, but not digital.

What 3DTV do you have ?

hoegaardenruls

Standard Member
What 3DTV do you have ?

It's the Samsung 55C8000, I would have expected the larger size to make any issues with the cable more apparent but picture quality is excellent.

And thats despite the fact I have the power cable for the TV in the same bundle of cables, which I know isn't ideal, but tidier until I sort out a permanent solution..

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
It's the Samsung 55C8000, I would have expected the larger size to make any issues with the cable more apparent but picture quality is excellent.

And thats despite the fact I have the power cable for the TV in the same bundle of cables, which I know isn't ideal, but tidier until I sort out a permanent solution..

You dont get any 3D drop outs ? Or the picture breaking up or anything like that ?

Are you using an HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 cable ?

hoegaardenruls

Standard Member

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Not experienced any of those problems, and it is a version 1.4 cable.

For a bit more info, the link to the actual cable is below:

Neet® White Line - 10m - HDMI to HDMI Cable - **: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

It's actually thicker than some of the cable you would pay a premium for..

Found one that will work just as well for almost a 3rd of the price

Newlink OFC HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable Gold M-M 10m - nlhd-100 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads

No need to spend £30 on a cable, but thats not what I was asking.

Most importantly, and the answer to my question.... you dont get picture breakup or the 3d cutting out.

MarekC

Established Member
Guys,

I am using a £10, 10m (unbranded) flat HDMI cable purchased from ebay about 2 years ago. It barely has any shielding at all which allows me to fold it back over itself at the connector on my C8000 making it completely invisible from the side. I also run this cable in the same trunking with two power cables, two DVI Dual cables, cat5e network and 2 usb cables over a distance of about 6m. I can quite happily run 3D BluRay to the TV without any dropouts/pixelation or any other picture/sound issues.

I compared this cable to a £200 v1.4 certified cable which gave no picture improvement at all, honestly could not see any difference in the picture and have been into this game for over 20 years.

Try not to be taken in with all the marketing blurb and the HDMI v1.4 certified sales pitch without trying your existing cables first.

Last edited:

hoegaardenruls

Standard Member
That cable looks tempting for the price.

To expand on the first comment in my last post, "Not experienced any of those problems" - definately no drop outs or breaking up.

The cable would be on it's way back if that had been happening. On a bigger screen it would be easier to notice, and definately more annoying. I just needed it to replace an HDMI-DVI cable I was using with my old plasma which was non-HDMI

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Guys,

I am using a £10, 10m (unbranded) flat HDMI cable purchased from ebay about 2 years ago. It barely has any shielding at all which allows me to fold it back over itself at the connector on my C8000 making it completely invisible from the side. I also run this cable in the same trunking with two power cables, two DVI Dual cables, cat5e network and 2 usb cables over a distance of about 6m. I can quite happily run 3D BluRay to the TV without any dropouts/pixelation or any other picture/sound issues.

I compared this cable to a £200 v1.4 certified cable which gave no picture improvement at all, honestly could not see any difference in the picture and have been into this game for over 20 years.

Try not to be taken in with all the marketing blurb and the HDMI v1.4 certified sales pitch without trying your existing cables first.

Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear.

db260179

Standard Member
As I understand it, a 3D broadcast is much the same bandwidth as an HD broadcast but I was advised to buy a better quailty HDMI cable from one of the guys in the Sony Center the other day.

I know the differences between a £2 HDMI and £200 HDMI, which is nothing but marketing blurb, but is there any truth in what sort of spec or quality HDMi cable needed for 3D ?

1m / 1 Metre PRO GOLD HDMI TO HDMI CABLE, 1080P, PS3: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

£9.99

Fantastic cables really notice the difference, my freebies 1.3 cables caused issues on my Samsung LE40C750

Highly Recommended

dls1976

Standard Member
do the new 3D sony LCD's require 1.4a hdmi cable? or will a 1.3 cable suffice. My cables are in the wall and don't think they can easily be changed...

also I take it that I will need a new receiver as my Harman Kadron model (355) is not one of those able to receive an update...

any views anyone?

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
do the new 3D sony LCD's require 1.4a hdmi cable? or will a 1.3 cable suffice. My cables are in the wall and don't think they can easily be changed...

also I take it that I will need a new receiver as my Harman Kadron model (355) is not one of those able to receive an update...

any views anyone?

1.3 will be fine. I got 1.4's though for ethernet.

dls1976

Standard Member
thanks. so what is all the talk about 1.4a cables?

I assume that 1.3 will be fine for simply displaying the picture between the Sky HD box and the sony LCD but I will need 1.4a for the sound between my Sky HD box and the receiver? and 1.4 berween the blu ray 3d player and the receiver?

For etherner - can you not simpley just use an ethernet cable?

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
thanks. so what is all the talk about 1.4a cables?

I assume that 1.3 will be fine for simply displaying the picture between the Sky HD box and the sony LCD but I will need 1.4a for the sound between my Sky HD box and the receiver? and 1.4 berween the blu ray 3d player and the receiver?

For etherner - can you not simpley just use an ethernet cable?

1.4a if I'm right just adds to the 1.4 spec, it adds broadcast 3d features.

1.3 cables are fine for your pic from the sky box to the lcd, and optical for your sound. From my understanding a 1.3 cable is fine from the blu-ray 3d player to your receiver too. A 3d broadcast's bandwidth is no larger than an HD boradcast so 1.4's are not needed. Of course, ethernet can be ran from a patch cable, but its an extra cable.

However, if you have no 1.3 hdmi's and are buying now, I would buy 1.4's anyway, they are just as cheap as 1.3's and are fully backward compatable with the 1.3 spec.

dls1976

Standard Member
thank you very much.

but, what do you mean "adds broadcast 3d features" - what will I miss out on. What is the point in them?

The cable from the LCD to the sky box can't be changed as my hdmi 1.3 cables are built into my wall - my whole house was re-wired 18 months ago!

I can buy 1.4s for blu ray to receiver but just not able to for lcd / skybox to receiver - i am upset!

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
thank you very much.

but, what do you mean "adds broadcast 3d features" - what will I miss out on. What is the point in them?

The cable from the LCD to the sky box can't be changed as my hdmi 1.3 cables are built into my wall - my whole house was re-wired 18 months ago!

I can buy 1.4s for blu ray to receiver but just not able to for lcd / skybox to receiver - i am upset!

Have a peek here for broadcast 3D info.

Here We Go Again - HDMI 1.4a Released With Focus on 3D

What i can say is regarding the side by side 3d broadcast, I've tested this with a 1.3 and a 1.4 cable and both work fine, so I really cant see why a 1.4a cable would be needed.

If you buy a 1.4 for blu-ray to receiver thats fine, but unless your receiver is compatable with 1.4's features then you will default to 1.3. From your LCD to skybox, a 1.3 is perfectly fine.

As I say, I have ps3 for 3D games, 3D through my motorised Sat dish and standalone player and my standard 1.3 cables have all been fine with no problems at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom