• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hdmi Cable!!

amavadia

Established Member
I have just about finished my home cinema. last thing i had to do was because i have wires in the wall to carry video signal to the pj on the roof, i cut the hdmi cable i had in half, and attached one side to each end of the existing wire. Soldered each wire on to each end and checked the pins of the hdmi plugs with a multimeter, and there is no problem getting a signal through on any of the 19 pins, but for some reason it dosent work?!

any ideas y?

RichardBoult

Established Member
amavadia said:
I have just about finished my home cinema. last thing i had to do was because i have wires in the wall to carry video signal to the pj on the roof, i cut the hdmi cable i had in half, and attached one side to each end of the existing wire. Soldered each wire on to each end and checked the pins of the hdmi plugs with a multimeter, and there is no problem getting a signal through on any of the 19 pins, but for some reason it dosent work?!

any ideas y?

Can't see that there should be a problem there. What solder did you use, was it the proper stuff from QED at £500 per gram?

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting a picture. By the sounds of it you'd only be watching Alan Partridge, Frank Spencer and Mr Bean. Just sit back with a beer and admire your handy work with the lights on!!

Ambient Fish

Established Member
:D

amavadia

Established Member
yer thanks for the comment Richard, really helpful...

not

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello amavadi

That must have been quite a unique 'Installed' cable - 19 screened cores was not that common in the world of analogue video!!!

Best regards

Joe

amavadia

Established Member
was a 20 core screened which i used to use for VGA monitor signal

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello amavadi

HDMI is never going to work over your old VGA cable - even assuming you got a signal its never going to be problem free.

You need to start again and install an HDMI cable that's long enough for the job.

Best regards

Joe

PTjak

Standard Member
Joe Fernand said:
You need to start again and install an HDMI cable that's long enough for the job
That's the ticket...and if the HDMI cable is too long, use a repeater to boost the signal to the projector.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom