HDMI Cable Without Big Chunky Plastic/Rubber/Metal Bit?

dannycorker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for the poorly worded title, wasn't sure how to describe. This is the problem though - I just bought a G210 card for HDMi for my computer, but after fitting the card was dismayed to find a small metal ridge just above the card slot on the back of my PC. This means that when I try and put a HDMI able in, it can't go in all the way because of the bulky part just behind the connector. In between the connector and the cable section. Hope you know what I mean! :S

So what I need is an HDMI cable that never gets any thicker than the actual connector, or if it does get thicker, we're talking a millimetre or two. Anyone know of somewhere to get such a cable?

I was also thinking of cutting off part of the bulky section on my current HDMI. As far as I know, nothing is stored in that section of the cable?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Sorry for the poorly worded title, wasn't sure how to describe. This is the problem though - I just bought a G210 card for HDMi for my computer, but after fitting the card was dismayed to find a small metal ridge just above the card slot on the back of my PC. This means that when I try and put a HDMI able in, it can't go in all the way because of the bulky part just behind the connector. In between the connector and the cable section. Hope you know what I mean! :S

So what I need is an HDMI cable that never gets any thicker than the actual connector, or if it does get thicker, we're talking a millimetre or two. Anyone know of somewhere to get such a cable?

I was also thinking of cutting off part of the bulky section on my current HDMI. As far as I know, nothing is stored in that section of the cable?

Thanks!

I know there are some products that have a removable HDMI connector shell (example below) to allow ease of installation when pulling cables through conduit. I'm not sure if leaving the shell off affects shielding so that may require further investigation.

Supra Cables

Avi

That big chunky bit is used as the cable strain relief – inside the HDMI head the cable is soldered to a double sided 19pin PCB board that’s attached to the metal parts of the connector; if you permanently remove the head your likely to end up with a failed cable.

That said many HDMI Connectors are non-compliant and way too big – if you go for something in moulded plastic you can easily trim some of the plastic body away to get the connector past your chassis; which also sounds non-complaint.

The adapter suggestion is a good one – either a solid moulded adapter or a short Male to Female cable – these use skinny cable so the heads are smaller as they are not trying to take the weight of so much cable.

Joe

I had to fettle the plastic on the connector of my hdmi cable to get it through the conduit in my wall

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom