1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cable - will extra £'s = better quality

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blidge, Aug 5, 2005.

1. blidge

blidge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This one's been bothering me. About to wall mount my shiny new Samsung LCD with HDMI socket and want to ensure I fit a good quality HDMI cable before fitting to the wall. But do I need to spend big money on this? Surely as HDMI carries a digital signal what possible advantage can there be in buying anything but the cheapest cable? Isn't the digital signal as it leaves one end gonna be exactly the same when it arrives at the other? I can understand that analogue cables could have the signal altered by whatever forces but surely not a digital signal? Any explanation as to why this is or isn't so would be appreciated.

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Expensive digital cables are purely a rip off aimed at those silly enough to buy em.
    They work or they don't, that's what digital signals are all about.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    blidge

More £££'s does not equal better quality - that said Digital Video cables do not all offer the same performance; a quick search through these threads and you'll find plenty of folk who've suffered 'drop out' using one cable and not with another in the same system.

On short cable runs a well engineered relatively inexpensive Molex cable will do the job for you - though insert something that uses thicker conductors and you can see benefits - see http://www.bettercables.com/newfor2004.html

Sometimes the differences are subtle and often not apparent until you stick a test pattern up on screen and look at what's happening with the upper frequencies your transmitting ; though once you see what to look for it becomes more obvious when you go back to a video signal.

Best regards

Joe

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That's what everyone thinks or likes to assume. However there is much more to it, even it's digital. :)

All digital transmissions are subjected to bit error rates (BER) - and depending on application can cause audible distortions, albeit different ones that you may experience in the analog world. It's also possible that bits get dropped like Joe Fernand already mentioned, i.e. parts of the signal may get lost, which is also audible (because you won't hear anything for a short moment).

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Sorry, you are wrong, dolby digital is totally bomb proof, the sound works or it doesn't. Read the discussion about connecting a digital output with two wire coat hangers and corroded phono plugs. The doly labs bit error logging device reported no bit errors at all.

Like I said, it work's or it doesn't & this is the only type of fault you will get.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,462
    pjclark1

So what am I seeing if I use one Digital Video cable and gets lots of green sparkles on a Display and then use a different cable in the same system and get no green sparkles - I still get an image with the first cable; though not one I'd care to watch for too long :)

Best regards

Joe

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Bit errors don't need to occur, especially on very short runs they would be rather unusual, but they can occur (maybe bad choice of words in my initial statement).
    But you said 'digital signals', not Dolby Digital - which I agree is more resistant because it's packetized as opposed to say PCM (also digital).

In your typical home theater system with normal cable lengths errors on digital connections maybe rare to none, but the statement about digital signals as it was made is just false.