Question HDMI cable, which is the best way to connect my PC to TV (apprx 40ft)

PrTv

Novice Member
Reaction score
I want to connect my gaming PC to the TV (can't move the PC itself next to the TV). Based on my rough measurement, I think a 40ft cable should be able to cover the distance.

I'm looking at this cable
Luxe Series CL3 Active High Speed HDMI Cable, 20ft - Monoprice.com

However, I'm not sure if using a cable with such a length is a good idea, so I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Can I:
  • Have 4K 60Hz
  • Have HDR (provided all drivers, setting, etc are in place on my PC side)
Will there be any intermittent issue?

Would it be better to use 2 cables with HDMI repeater in the middle?

Thanks

Active HDMI cables include a chip set - you will need to ensure the particular cable you are looking at will support the Features you require (most current designs won't).

Multiple passive cables plus an Active repeater may be an option but equally could be tricky to get right.

Fibre HDMI is the best option at present - Celerity Technologies – The Media Factory

Joe

Thanks for your comment.

The Fiber one is very expensive and well above by budget. Based on my Google search, 30-40 ft should still be fine without a repeater (pls correct me if I'm wrong). So, I'm thinking about going with the Active one in my link. So if I can confirm that it can do 4K + HDR (with it does based on the spec), I should be fine right?

'Based on my Google search, 30-40 ft should still be fine without a repeater (pls correct me if I'm wrong).' - if you are planning to run 2160p, 60fps with HDR I would question your research, it gets very hit and miss once you exceed 8m (26'). You also need to ensure you test both 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 (if the latter may be important for you).

Active cable > Active Repeater > Active cable - has a pile of variables at play, the first being will the Active Repeater 'power' the first Active cable!

Ensure you have a good Returns policy and fully test over a few days with the kit you intend to use and the signal formats you need to support before you 'install' any cable.

I'd also run one or two CAT6 as a backup solution.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom