1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cable supplier in the UK

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Maximise, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Maximise

Maximise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just recieved this tip from Pioneer call HIFI City 01923 226169 they are the only comapany in the UK with the cables

:clap:

2. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Maximise,

I have just ordered one. £35+ £2.50 P&P.

Simon

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When are you getting it?

4. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Just called them to check if it's the same cable that Farnell are/will be selling and it seems so.
    So that's quite a big mark-up considering Farnell are knocking them out at just over £7...

5. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    they were going to pop it straight in the post. They actually got them from Pioneer so I've probably got 2 coming as my dealer is trying to get one supplied with my 868.

£35.........yeah its a rip off but I've just spent £10k on 504,AX5,868 and PC upgrade so.............

6. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I say again....are you copying me? :D
    I suppose you're right but it's galling to think that they are profiteering like this.
    I told the guy what I thought of his business practise too - he wasn't very pleased...

I suppose I could always wait a few weeks - I've got about 60 hours of movies on Sky+ to watch anyway :D

Going slightly off topic...I'd be interested to hear how you've got your kit set up as we've got exactly the same.
    It would be worth comparing notes.

7. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Brogan,

Yes we can compare notes but I have not started yet. The Amp will be here on Sunday but I wont get started with it until Monday. The 504 gets installed on Tuesday and I am hoping the DVD player is delivered to me same day but that's only a possible at the moment. When I've got it all wired up I'll give you a shout.

I feel a sickie coming on for next week ;)

Cheers

Simon

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Nice one :smashin:
    We should both have all the kit at the same time then - I've already got the AX5 and 868.

P.S. I hope your boss doesn't subscribe to this forum...:laugh:

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Guys,

Although we all get despearate to try and enjoy the picture through HDMI and although we spent thousands on the equipment I will not easily accept the HIFI City approach.

Furthermore, I can confirm that Pioneer DID NOT give these cables to HIFI City. Finally, Pioneer works with Molex who only distribute through Farnell and TTi. Therefore, I would question who is the cable manufacturer if Molex has yet to provide stock. It could just be some other quality supplier (or not!) but I doubt it is from Molex.

10. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I spoke to them and they assured me it was a Molex supplied cable and the same 2 metre cable that Farnell will be receiving around December 18.
    How they got hold of them I have no idea...

11. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I Thought that Molex were the only distribitor so it has to come from them. ......by what route and whoever makes what cut, it all boils down to the old rule of supply and demand..........If you want one badly enough to pay £35 you pay..........if you don't..........you don't.

12. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Molex manufacture and supply the cables but they do not sell directly to the public.
    Farnell and RS are authorised Molex distributors and will be getting stock around December 18.
    I have no idea how this other place managed to get hold of some before the authorised distributors...

Essentially you're right though - if people want one that badly they will pay.
    Me? I'll watch all my Sky+ recorded movies first so will have no need of an HDMI cable for several weeks....at least....

13. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Brogan,

You are supposed to copy me ;) Go out and buy a cable from HiFi Cty now please :lesson:

14. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    LOL :rotfl:
    I may still do - I'm sure the temptation will be too much to bear.
    We'll see next Mon/Tue when the plasma arrives....hopefully....

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well i just watched my first film via HDMI on a 434 and 868. and im NOT going to post what i thought. cable came from same company and there are no quality worries with the cable

BUT.....

16. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I'll bite.

BUT...WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

17. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    find out for yourself.

18. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well I'm guessing you thought it was rubbish, as you expected?

Suppose I'll have to wait a few more weeks to find out for myself....

19. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    no it wasnt rubish, that would be very unfair.

it was excellent not stunning but very very good.
    after now seeing about six films i would challenge anyone too put on monsters inc and not be impressed. 868s hdmi output is far better than its component.

Guys u wont be disapointed.
    down sides are the pic can look a little forced and a bit too sharp increasing noise and loosing a filmic quality. driving at 720p did look best.(to me anyway) a very nice combination. Just the damn contrast lets the whole thing down still.

A phd6 though can rival the pic from component though.

all in all a great look at what the future has to other, am i temted to buy one, NO ive seen better pics from a PJ at half the price

Was it over hyped, U bet.

20. Teebs

Teebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend told me about this thread and as a customer of hifi city for a number of years i've decided to join the forum and comment.

I don't know how much you know about buisness but in retail companys often use proifit to keep afloat (you wanna see how much a M&S sandwich costs to make) and thats what Hi-Fi city are doing. as one person said he's just spent 10k on a system so whats an extra £35, how true.

I also get the impression (and i'm jumping to conclusions here i know) that you didn't buy the equipment from them either, so let me get it straight, you spend a few grand in one shop and expect another to give away accessories. sorry but i'm not sure that's how it works.

I've spoken to them and Hi-fi city worked pretty hard to source a supplier of these leads and got them flown in from Japan (at an expence...oh and then you might wanna add VAT to that aswell) so that they could get these early and have them so that people like YOU could get them before anyone else (and laughably IMO before you seem to have the equipment to use them on anyway)
    I told the shop about this forum and they've read these posts and found it interesting that a few people who have an issue with the price have brought an HDMI lead from them anyway.

Sorry if this is harsh but i've always found Hi-Fi City a friendly bunch and have often gone out of their way to help me and other customers, And it annoys me to see people hiding behind their computer screens and bad mouthing them when they don't know all the facts (but they think they do)

Flame away.

teebs :(

21. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received my HDMI cable last week, and after testing it for a week I must conclude that I have never seen a plasma with a better picture.

It's totally noise free, with a depth I've never seen in a PDP.

My opinion is that the picture is more like film, more cinema-like.
    The resolution of 750p(1280x760p) is by far "killing" the analogue era.

The blacks on my last PDP, Panasonic 5 was a bit "blacker" than this Pioneer, but I'm not sure if this is correct blacks.
    Actually, sometimes I think that the blacks on the Panny is "cheating" us.
    It's too black, resulting in to much difference in contrast.
    The Pio 434 has very good blacks. Smoother than the Panny.

Anyways, go and get the 434,868 with the HDMI combination.
    It kills!!!

C

22. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There'll be no flaming from me.

Although I've never dealt with HiFi City before, I agree with pretty much everything you say. Good on them for having the foresight to get these cables in. If it wasn't for them, I'd be sitting here with a 504 and 868 for possibly the next few weeks using component (not exactly a chore though!). Thanks to them, my cable will be with me on Tuesday and I can make the most of six-odd grands worth of kit for a mere extra £37.50.

If anyone from HFC is reading this - cheers chaps!

23. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Well I guess your thread is directed at me as I am the one who made the comments about profiteering, etc.

Before I respond to each point I'll just say you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.
    I did not overtly criticise anyone for purchasing a cable so what gives you the right to criticise me? :mad:

IMO, £35 for a cable costing £7 is too much mark-up even taking into account import duties, shipping, etc. - and yes, before you ask I know how much import taxes and shipping costs are.
    Yes, HiFi City are a busines but so are Farnell, are they not?
    If Farnell can afford to sell the same cable for £7 then I fail to see why another business can't.
    And as for expecting a cable for free, I don't recall ever saying that...
    Perhaps you'd like to put some more words in my mouth while you're at it :rolleyes:

You seem to have pretty strong opinions for a "customer".

So you think it's "laughable" do you that I am trying to source a cable before the equipment has arrived?
    what the fudge?
    So you're one of these people who buys a new piece of kit and then when it arrives suddenly thinks, damn, I'm going to have to run out to the local hi-fi shop now to buy some cables?
    Most people plan ahead and purchase the accessories they will need either in advance or at least to arrive at the same time.
    I suppose I must be a complete idiot having run an SVGA cable from my PC to the lounge and I haven't even got the media receiver to plug it into.
    OMG, what the hell was I thinking?!? :rolleyes:
    Judging by some of your comments though, you probably fall into the former group...

As I have stated, I am in no hurry to purchase a cable.
    I will wait until they are available from other suppliers at a more reasonable price.

That's my prerogative and I'm damn well entitled to it.
    I don't recall ever advising anyone else to do any different.
    If people want to spend £35 on a cable, fine, that's their choice.
    I have never tried to persuade anyone to do anything different.

As for having the "foresight" to order a batch of cables in advance, you could argue that they have removed a quantity of cables from the open market thereby forcing people down this route.

And as for hiding behind my PC, I already mentioned that I told the guy in HFC what I thought of his prices.
    Seems to me that was pretty up-front and honest.

In future, if you're going to criticise my posts, at least try and be factual and accurate.

Feel free to run back to HFC and pass on my latest comments...:rolleyes:

Muppet! :rolleyes:
    (thanks Gandley)

24. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    AAAAAAA you mist the muppet bit LOL

M25 busy again then

25. togad

togad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    True-ish. But the assumption you're making is that the cables HFC got hold of were destined for the UK in the first place (which, at a guess, is unlikely). Another guess - that HFC probably mainly supply to the UK? I'd be surprised if (however many they bought) they've made that big a dent in the worldwide supply of these things - they simply seem to be the first people to realise that there would be a demand for them, and went to the expense of sourcing and air-freighting them over. Now they've got them, and realise no-one else has, they can bump up the margin safe in the knowledge that there are plenty of early adopters out there who are not willing to wait weeks for the things.

The real guilty party in all of this though is Pioneer. If the cables can be obtained for a mere £7, surely it wouldn't have been too much trouble for them to stick one in the boxes the 434/504's came in...

26. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I agree it's unlikely that the cables were destined for the UK market but don't believe there isn't a worldwide shortage - there is.
    Molex are the ONLY manufacturer and they simply can't make enough of them.
    This is why the first scheduled delivery to the UK is not for another 2-3 weeks.

I also agree that the blame lies squarely at Pioneer's door.
    Considering the retail price it really wouldn't have hurt to bundle a cable with the screens or DVD players.
    At the very least they could have secured a bunch of cables for sale to those people buying the screens.
    If HFC could get hold of them (from Japan of all places) then don't tell me Pioneer couldn't.

27. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't bank on that....my 868 didn't even have a mains cable! but it did come with three manuals....each in a diffrent set of languages

28. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just order my HDMI cable from HIFi City.....they've now only got two left!

29. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Guys,

I believe we all expressed valid comments and this has been a good debate based on the info we had available. I understand most points presented here but I still wonder about some of the comments from Teebs:

Teebs, do have shares in HFC? True everybody needs to take good care of their business and reputation, but you seem to be standing up for them extremely well and very strongly as if HFC was your very own ! Hopefully you are getting huge discounts or you should be from now with this fantastic advertisement....

OK, can't wait, ... I am going "recommended" to HFC! Ha!

30. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Good points Costas.

I find the comment "A friend told me about this thread" interesting.

So his "friend" thought it was relevant to mention to him, a customer of HFC, about a particular thread on a forum?

And he felt so strongly "as a customer" that he registered and posted his comments.

Blimey. Now that's what I call customer loyalty...