1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cable Question

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by VoltronUS, Nov 3, 2004.

1. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without meaning to initiate a debate about whether quality digital video cables make a difference, I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on which HDMI cable to buy. I am picking up my new 50" Pioneer Elite Pro-1120HD plasma today and I want to get a quality cable to connect my Arcam DV29 to the HDMI input. The dealer has AudioQuest and Tributaries cables in stock, with the AudioQuest being the advertised better model. Alternatively, I could order a WireWorld or Kimber Kable if those are thought to be truly superior. One thing WireWorld claims is a 5 gigabit per second capability, which is the HDMI standard requirement. I don't know if the other options meet that standard. Still, if AudioQuest is good enough I can get one today and start watching immediately!

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Arcam can supply you a good quality reasonably inexpensive HDMI cable, ask the dealer to order it when he orders your DVD player from them.

3. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too late! I already have the DV29. I guess if I hold out on getting the HDMI cable and "make do" with component output for a short period I can see if the dealer can order it. Thanks Crusty.

4. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VoltronUS, I have had the Pioneer Elite Pro-1110HD since May, and think that it is terrific. I have heard that the 1120 is even better (especially wrt better blacks). I am sure that you will enjoy it! BTW, I have since upgraded all of my cables to AudioQuest, and have noticed a significant improvement in picture and sound quality. I have not yet however upgraded to HDMI, but will be doing so within the next couple of months.

5. VoltronUS

VoltronUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jim, I appreciate your input. I got the 1120 up and running last night and it rocks! I ended up with and AudioQuest cable and the image is amazing. I have nothing to compare it to, but I am happy with the results so far.

I was very close to buying the 1110, which is a great unit already, but decided to wait when I heard some rumbling of a new model with some picture improvements and cable card capability. I haven't even tried to adjust anything, and the images amaze me. Although the VOOM HD is almost too bright and color saturated without adjustment, the progressive input through the HDMI connection from my Arcam DV29 is startling and so true to the movie "feel." I find myself thinking through all the DVDs I need to try out, let alone buy.

You won't regret moving to HDMI. Happy watching!

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Just my 10 cents...
    I compared a lowcost thin hdmi-dvi cable (3M) to the 3M dvi-dvi cable that came with my Panny dvi card and I found the latter gave a better pic.
    The pic got worse when I gripped the hdmi cable hard, not so the Panny cable.
    The test was not 100% honest because I used the separate hdmi/dvi sockets on my Denon 3910, but I definitely disliked the (German) hdmi cable, cost me 30 Euro too!
    So try to get a decent cable, remember good screening IS important- there's very high freq signals running through it!
    IMO no need for extravaganza though...
    Good Luck
    Barend