• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

HDMI cable question..please help!

Y

youngie33

I currently own a sony receiver (STR DG500) with 6.1 surround, and love it. I am shortly going to buy a large 42" LCD screen (had weeks looking for the best bargain!!). My DVD player is the sony NS76H upscaler which I intend to keep for the time being until blu-ray/hd dvd becomes clearer.

My question is if I connect the DVD to the TV using an HDMI connector (for the best picture) and then I want to connect the sound through the digital coax out of the back of the DVD player to the AMP does this mean everytime I want to play a movie I have to turn the TV sound down (obviously the HDMI cable will also carry sound to the TV, which I don't want). The sony amp is only basic and does NOT have any HDMI inputs into it. I have looked through the DVD manual and cannot find anywhere how to get sound going through the digital coax cable and not through the HDMI.

Any help please.

ghislain

Hi,
You could disable your TV's speaker output (if this is not possible, configure the volume to be set at 0) and connect the audio outs of your TV to your amp with 2 interconnects.
Connect your DVD over HDMI (picture) and connect the digital output of your DVD (coax or optical output) to your amp (for the sound).
This of course means that your amp will always have to be on when watching TV, DVD (or any other input).
The only thing to do is to select the appropriate input on your amp.

Enjoy :)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom