hdmi cable needed?

K

kingcobra

i have a PANASONIC stc 470 1000 watt 5.1 with i-pod dock,t.v. is hd ready LG, also have a SKY+ box,(though this may change to freeview soon),can anyone advise if i need hdmi cabling to get the upscaling on dvd? and how many cables i will need in this set-up?,also i will add a blu-ray player(probably panasonic) at a later date,does this just require an optical cable? or will i need another hdmi for this?

many thanks for any help folks.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Is that the correct model number for your home cinema system? A google reveals nothing. In order to use the scaler within the DVD player, you will have to use HDMI.

Sky+ should connect direct to the TV from the TV SCART connection and set to RGB, 16:9 and SCART Control - On in the picture settings menu. It can also output Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from selected programming e.g. US shows, movies and sporting events (see DD on info bar) and has to be set to Dolby D in the optical option with the sound settings menu.

If your home cinema system only has 1 optical input, you may need an optical switch for surround sound from your Bluray player but this will obviously depend on the player in question. You would need to check the specs of your proposed purchase. If it has digi-coax output, you can convert this to optical and then hook that up to the switch (shared with Sky+). You would need another HDMI cable from the BD player to the TV for the video.

We need a bit more information to fully answer though....

K

kingcobra

sorry i did not get correct model no :Panasonic SC-PT470EB-K 5.1 DVD Home Cinema System.
this is 1000 watt system (or so they say),and has the i-pod dock.
dont know if that helps at all.
i just need to know how many hdmi cables i need BEFORE i get a blu-ray player,as that is going to be a few months yet.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you wanted to continue to play discs on the SC-PT470, you would need another HDMI cable for the Bluray player. If you simply used the SC-PT470 for audio only and used the Bluray player for DVD and Bluray playback, you could disconnect the HDMI cable from the SC-PT470 and use that cable for the Bluray player.

My answer re. the optical switch stands though as the SC-PT470 only has one optical input. Make sure that the Bluray player you buy has optical audio output. The switches cost around £7 - £12 from the likes of maplins, tvcables or audiovisualonline.

K

kingcobra

my sincerest thanks for your help & advice davepuma,it has been of great value,so i just need 1 cable then? i have just ordered 1 from amazon,and i will make sure my blu-ray player does have an optical output(when i can afford one! lol!)i presume the sky or freeview boxes dont require hdmi cables at all then?

thanks from kenny

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Standard Sky and Sky+ boxes are RGB SCART output. Only Sky+HD boxes have HDMI output. As for "freeview" boxes, it obviously depends on the box but presumably you're looking at a recorder of some description? Without knowing the make/model of box you are planning on buying, I can't say. You will need to check the specs of the box before you buy and then work out which connection (output) it has and buy a cable accordingly.

K

kingcobra

o.k thanks, you have been a great help,at this stage we are undecided on whether to have freeview, sky hd, or freesat hd, we are moving very soon so we will see what deals are available when the move is complete.for our budget the pinnacle of achievement is the panasonic 5.1 with a panasonic blu-ray player,and eventually in the future around about a 37" panasonic hd tv ,so we can utilise the viera link system throughout,it may also depend on whether hd is/will be available from freeview either soon or when we have moved.(cable tv/internet is not available where we are going) we would love hd capability throughout but are not keen on forking out an extra £10 every month for the still relatively limited amount of programmes (on sky that is)

thanks again for your time and help.
kenny:)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom