HDMI cable maximum lengths before loss of quality

theGman

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchased a new HD LCD for my bedroom, the problem is that I will need about 20m of cable to connect to my Sky HD box elsewhere in the house. Would the distance prove a problem with quality ,also I'm looking for a 1:2 hdmi splitter as the sky box only has 1 output. Would the splitter have to be an amplifier as well. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. So, do these come as a pair? All I have to do then is get is a suitable length of cat5e or cat6e cable? Great, I didn't fancy paying loads of money for a good quality 20m HDMI cable.

Has anybody used one of these hdmi splitters? Any info on output quality? It's just that I have good quality cables on my components just now and don't want to degrade the quality by putting an inferior cable/splitter in between my components.

Cheers.

Hello boaz2000

HDMI over CAT5 currently requires 2 x CAT5 cables between the Tx (Transmit) and Rx (Receive) Baluns.

Baluns do vary in quality, maximum run length and compatibility.

You'll also want to run a Coaxial cable alongside the CAT5 cables to enable you to add in a 'Magic Eye' style IR extender to gain control of the SKY box at the remote location.

HDMI Splitters do vary in quality and some will work in most systems others will tend to only work in some systems - be prepared for some hair pulling.

See http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI distribution amp_splitter 2 port.html

SKY HD has Two HD capable Outputs - Digital (HDMI) and Analogue (Component Video + Stereo Audio over 5RCA) - some folk are using this functionality to deliver HD to two rooms around a house.

Joe

I have just tried the HDMI Super Extender by Cat-6 devices to run SKY HD down 15m of cat 6 but it currently does not work. The fact that my DVD and PS3 player can send perfect pictures and sound down it points the finger at the SKY HD box not playing ball with the set up. I see on other threads here there is the "pin 13" issue with the Sky HD box that makes it incompatible with certain devices but I have yet to get that substantiated.

If anyone has these extenders running ok with Sky I would be interested in hearing.

Further to above - insulating out the pin 13 does not appear to make any difference.

If someone can confirm they have Sky HD working down their extender that would be helpful - which would point towards a possible specific issue with my HD box...otherwise I would have to advise caution before spending money on this product

Bit of an update - took the extender / cable to a friends house and his Sky HD worked fine through the cable no problem....so what is that saying? my SKY box is dodgy ????? :rolleyes:

I presume you made sure that both you and yours mates SkyHD boxes were both set to the same resolution when confirming one does and one doesn't work? I would really try to see if you could try you skyhd box at his house at it could even be your tv refusing to play ball despite it working fine with the PS3 and DVD player?

Hi, just a quick update, did you manage to get the SKY HD working with the extender? It's just that I've just been on a website selling these and they state that they are not compatible with Sky HD. Any update would be appreciated before spending my money.

Is there any reason not to just use a 15m plus HDMI cable?

We do plenty of 25m + cables which work perfectly, an electronic equaliser is inckuded for situations where the display does not have any form of boost built in. I am sure Joe has options as well...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom