1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hdmi Cable LIMIT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sye7euk, Oct 8, 2004.

1. sye7euk

sye7euk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDMI CABEL Limit

Does anyone know the limit of HDMI cable lengths? I mean at what point would you see a drop in picture quality? I have an AE-700 that I want to mount on a back wall but my equipment is at the front of the room. I have purchased a 15m HDMI cable but I think I have read somewhere that picture quality suffers if you go beyond 20ft? Is this true? :lesson:

Steve

2. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you with regard to room layout and have recently bought a 15m HDMI cable to lay under the floor/bury in walls etc while decorating. From what I can make out 15m is about the maximum for a copper HDMI cable.

I haven't got the rest of the kit yet so can't give you a definitive answer, but I did get the guys in the shop to test the cable before I took it home and it looked perfect on a Arcam DV79/Sim2 Domino 20H combo.

FYI it's a Chord HDMI Silver Plus cable

Hope this helps....
    Mark

3. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the HDMI FAQ (http://www.hdmi.org/what/faq.asp):

"Does HDMI accommodate long cable lengths?
    Yes. HDMI technology has been designed to use standard copper cable construction at long lengths. In order to allow cable manufacturers to improve their products through the use of new technologies, HDMI specifies the required performance of a cable but does not specify a maximum cable length. Cable manufacturers are expected to sell reasonably priced copper cables at lengths of up to 15 meters. As semiconductor technology improves, even longer stretches can be reached with fiber optic cables, and with active cable technologies such as amplifiers or repeaters."

So it seems like up to 15m shouldn't pose a problem..

4. sye7euk

sye7euk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

I will try my 15m against my 1m tomorrow ( I still have to put my screen up). I'll report back if I can see any differance. :eek:

This is what promted the post. Reader review from Projector Central

"Personal Experience
    I have had the projector in our demo room for 3 weeks. The setup was a breeze. We were thinking about ordering a dozen because of the initial review from CEDIA that was posted here in the projector news. However, after having it on for about 80 hrs, I must say that I'm a little disappointed. The image quality doesn't beat other (cheaper) projectors. Black looks pretty good, a bit better then any LCD projector I saw, but the overall image doesn't outperform older LCD projectors.The light output is superb though, it's almost as if you don't need a light controlled environment for it. The projected lamp life, connections and the noise level also make up a little bit for the image quality. IMO, the projector is not worth the $2300. I found a customer for the show room model, but I don't think I 'll be ordering more. The Panasonic PT-AE700U offers exactly the same performance as the Sanyo PLV-Z2 for a much higher price. The shorter bulb life on the Sanyo is made up for with lower price.
    On a side note, I 'm a bit disappointed with the rating this projector was given even without reviewing it you gave it the nr.1 spot. You rolled back certain projectors on your within days. Also, the top ten list shouldn't be based on popularity, the performance of projectors should be the only criteria for the top 10.

Problems
    The image is a bit blurry, through DVI some image quality loss if the cable is over 20 ft (regardless what brand of cable) it didn't happen' with other projectors."

Steve

5. meoq

meoq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    steve - it sounds like he was using a DVI cable. Or a DVI-to-HDMI cable. One of the benefits of HDMI over DVI is a longer cable range.

6. mpeg10

mpeg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    would a 10m hdmi cable with a dvi adapter at one end to my PC be okay?