HDMI cable length

G

Godvrey

Hi,

I've just installed a Profigold 15m HDMI cable between my Denon 1920 and Sanyo pj. Picture quality is OK, but i'm noticing some distortion, and the occasional white fleck on screen. The distortion is a bit like when the tv is not tuned in quite properly and so produces a certain amount of 'noise', and the white flecks just pop up every now and again.

I'm assuming that the white flecks are because of the cable length and are a manifestation of the signal degradation - but i'm not so sure about the noise. Does anyone know if HDMI cable length would cause the kind of thing that I am seeing wrt the noise?

Also, since i'm using a projector, I don't have a whole lot of choice in cable length. Reading on line i've seen a product by Ultralink that boosts the HDMI signal so that it can travel across much further distances. The device costs around $150, but I can't seem to find it for sale over here. Anyone got any ideas where I might get one from to avoid costly overseas shipping charges?

Cheers

Godvrey

It does sound like your 15m HDMI cable may be causing the signal drop out and noise.

BetterCables do Display Magic HDMI cables up to 31m and the range includes a 15m cable - http://www.bettercables.com/15me4febecad1.html

These cables use higher gauge conductors than most and are tested and guaranteed to 1080P over the supplied lengths

They are available in the UK on a Sale or Return basis so you can try one and see if it resolves your difficulties - they often do.

At 15m you shouldn't have to resort to a signal booster - if you do then Gefen have the HDMI Super Booster available in the UK.
See http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=2939

Best regards

Joe

I have a 1920 and my 8m Supra HDMI cable is dead and is going back. I tested it with a short, cheap eBay cable tonight and it all works - in fact I was blown away by the image, so HDMI is definitely something I want to pursue.

Good to hear you got some picture Godvrey, I have heard lots about Bettercables too so I am going to pursue this avenue.

Any suggested retailers in the UK that do Sale or Return?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom