1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI Cable help

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Niraj, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Will be getting my Pioneer 505 XDE in a week's time and wanted to know what would be the best HDMI cable to use to connect my Denon 2910 to it with.

Wireworld seems to be a name that I have heard a few times, but have no idea what to look for in these cables.

Also, would welcome recommendations of places to buy the cable from, web or bricks and mortar....

Thanks
    Niraj

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    highstreet choice is limited, AV-sales do wireworld, also an upgrade for the tuner box>screen cable, wireworld are not cheap, no HDMI cable is really but there are some which are better VFM drop AV-sales a line.......

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Niraj

As Horny says you can look at both the DVD to Media Receiver and Media Receiver to Plasma Display signal path.

The Media Receiver to Plasma Display assembly as provided by Pioneer UK has two cables to it - one for the Digital Video (DVI to DVI) and one for comms and audio (MDR).

You can either replace just the Digital Video portion of the cable - assuming you don't need to go over the standard 3m length provided; or if you need longer and want higher quality video you can replace both the Video and MDR control portions of the cable.

On shorter runs of HDMI with Standard Definition signals you tend not to see much of a difference between many of the available HDMI cables - though some of the more exotic cables with much heavier conductors do make for visual improvements. WireWorld is one option we use/supply as is BetterCables.

Horny which of the WireWorld cables did you test - when you consider a 3m Chroma has an SRP of 80.00, a 3m Ultraviolet has an SRP of 200.00 and a 3m Starlight5 has an SRP of 400.00 I think its important to not assume/suggest they all produce the same results!

Best regards

Joe

4. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe and Horny,

I wont be needing more than the length that is standard as the setup is quite compact.

With due respect Joe, the second half of your post was gobbledegook to me :):):)

So is it reasonable to say that Wireworld is a good bet?

Thanks again
    Niraj

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    twas starlight IIRC and chroma (also used the 20m starlight HDMI) ointlessly long but worked... at one point had 32m of digital cable running a 435.......LOL

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello Niraj

What I was trying (unsuccessfully I guess) to get across was a misconception (or brilliant bit of marketing - whichever way you look at it) that a Brand that has three grades of Digital Cable ensure its always the very expensive cable that's reviewed and folk then assume that the more affordable grade will deliver the same results.

As before WireWorld is a good option in the right system - but ensure any review/recommendation is of the cable your actually going to buy; Chroma, Ultraviolet or Starlight5.

Horny has said that a 20m WireWorld Starlight5 cable (SRP £1,149.00 cable - yes I'll repeat £1,149.00) done a good job in the system he reviewed.

I'm not so sure everyone will want to splash out on a Starlight5 - even though its only £200.00 (SRP) for a 1m length :)

You may want to ensure any exotic cable you try is on sale or return.

Best regards

Joe

PS Also to clarify - what Horny was suggesting is that you require a high quality cable between your DVD player and the Plasma Media Box and the same Grade/Brand of cable between the Media Box and the TV screen; so 2 x whatever cable you decided upon.

7. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to explain things to me, it all makes a lot more sense now! :thumbsup:

Starlight5 seems to be only a distant dream for me, I guess I'll have to consider the Chroma!!

Thanks
    Niraj