1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI cable: Have I been conned?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Adam M, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Not sure about this.

I keep reading everywhere that HDMI cables should be cheap as chips with nothing between them in terms of quality, but me being me, I had to have one soon so can accept that demand outstripping supply has dictated this cable will be far more expensive at this stage.

I found a shop in the states that has them in stock now and placed an order for a 5m hdmi to hdmi (hs20 to 868), all in it ended up costing me $93 inc shipping and handling. Exchange rate I managed was 1.7 ish which was nice.

so at £55, have I been done over?

I know its too late, but I would rather not feel like a total idiot.

fractionally stupid I can cope with.

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, probably not, well not too much anyway. There should be no difference in quality between cables (assuming they are good enough to work :) ) but the HDMI cable itself is mechanically quite a complex beast and still fairly rare...

So if a 5m DVI cables costs say £30 and a HDMI cable is DVI+more bits in a smaller and less (re more expensive ;) ) connector then £60 is going to be about par. If you can't get one in Europe I don't see you had much choice :)

-- Jon

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    ive seen a place in the uk selling a 1m hdmi cable for £54

i dont think you have paid that much over the odds as it is a 5m cable. and with shipping sounds about right

4. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks guys, feel a bit better now.

5. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think the Farnell ones were about £10 for 2m but yeah ones from AV dealers have been in the £50 region for 1m so you got a fair price. Still early days to judge quality vs. PQ.

6. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Adam,

Don't forget you might (read, probably) get clobbered for VAT and import duty. :eek: They seem to get most of my stuff these days. :mad:

Steve

7. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    there is a minimum value which is subject to vat and import duty, though I suspect this exceeds it.

what really grates me is that you have to pay vat on the import duty and vat and import duty on the shipping costs!

you could ship nothing in an empty box and still have to pay for it to enter the country.

8. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Adam,

I'm with you, what utter ********!

I would say there are differences in the quality of any cables including DVI and HDMI ones. I'm not saying that any 1m cable is worth 100's of pounds, unless it has a shield made out of Jessica Alba's naughty hair, but I do believe that not all cables made to do the same job are the same!

I think that in short runs, the cable makes less difference, especially in the digital world, but in longer runs quality counts!

I am going to be buying a 9m DVI cable (dual link) from Cable Solutions in the US for £65. This seems very reasonable, as they say they have never had anyone return a 9m DVI because it didn't work and this cannot be said for many other DVI cables of this length. They also sell a 15m DVI cable!

The source and receiver also make a difference, as some of the longer Lindy cables have had problems with the Sanyo Z2 and worked fine with other PJ's. I hope the FV series from Cable Solutions works with my Z2, or I will cry! I only need a 7.5m cable, but they only do 5m and 9m!

BTW, DVI has no error correction, so any degradation to the signal (RFI/EMI etc) can be disastrous. Therefore, well shielded, loss cables are essential. The Lindy cables seem great value BTW.