HDMI Cable for PS5 - >5m

Simebaby

Hi All
Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn’t find anything definitive, I have had a search / google and if anything I’m more confused.
I’m trying to pin down what I need to be looking at cable-wise for connecting a PS5 to an Epson EH-TW9400 (via an AVR). The actual length of the run is around 4m, so I’m probably looking at a 5m cable.
So I’ll need it to support [email protected] with HDR. Do I need an 18Gbps or 48Gbps cable? And will a passive cable suffice, or will I need to go fibre?
There’s an existing cable in-situ which is 13 years old, so I’m guessing it won’t be up to the job. Don’t have the PJ yet to test it.
TIA
Si

Otto Pylot

Are you a gamer? If so, and it sounds like your cable is in-wall, you might want to consider a passive, certified, Ultra High Speed HDMI cable for the HDMI 2.1 option sets. They are certifiable up to 5m (16'). The downside is that the cables are fairly stiff so you need to be mindful of bend radius (no sharp, 90º bends) and make sure there isn't any undue strain on the HDMI ports. Certification is not a guarantee of compatibility. It's more for consumer confidence that the cable has been tested and certified by a standardized set of protocols to meet the HDMI 2.1 option sets. As far as 48Gbps goes, I don't believe that there is any source material that actually requires that bandwidth yet. Most material that takes advantage of the some of the HDMI 2.1 option sets run at about 40Gbps.

The advantage of a hybrid fiber cable is that they are much thinner, so the flexibility/bend radius is far better than a passive cable. The downside is that they are expensive and being as they have chipsets in the connector ends there may be compatibility issues with the HDMI ports because they are active cables and draw their power from the HDMI ports. The hybrid fiber cables are also not certified, yet, if that is of a concern.

As a side note, the most reliable connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no wall plates, adapters, extenders, etc in-between. This is especially true for active cables. What ever cable you get, it's always prudent to lay it out on the floor prior to installation and test it to make sure it meets your needs and expectations. As with any cable that is installed in-wall, be very careful during the cable pull, and this where the use of a conduit for your cable is highly recommended.

So, if you want to push the HDMI 2.0 option sets (18Gbps), a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label of authenticity) should work just fine. If you want to push the HDMI 2.1 option sets (48Gbps) an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label of authenticity) should work just fine. Both are passive and will be stiff. Any number of mfrs offer PHS HDMI cables. For the UHS HDMI cables, I'd recommend either Zeskit or Ruipro. If you want to go with an active hybrid fiber cable I'd suggest the Ruipro 8k, Gen-3/C cable.

Simebaby

I think that's where I'm getting confused. Is HDR [email protected] 2.0 or 2.1? 120fps not an issue as the PJ won't do [email protected]
The cable in there at the moment is a Chord Silver Plus 1.3. I suspect I've underestimated the run as well - I think it will come in at over 5m.
Edit: Yep, it's in wall (actually ceiling and partition wall). Primarily gaming.

Last edited:

Otto Pylot

HDR is general video format term that covers Dolby Vision, HDR10, HDR10+, and HLG. Some devices are capable of all four, some are not. HDR started with hardware versions HDMI 2.0. Keep in mind that HDMI cable versions mean nothing. It's the hardware (HDMI chipsets) that determine what you can send/receive. As far as cables go, PHS HDMI are certified to handle all of the HDMI 2.0 hardware specs and UHS HDMI are certified to handle all of the HDMI 2.1 hardware specs. If you are a gamer, and have devices that are capable of the newer hardware specs (VRR, QFT, QMS, etc) then you might want to look for a cable that is listed to handle those formats. As far as 48Gbps goes, that will be required for FRL, which will be needed for the higher uncompressed resolutions. And being as there really isn't any source material encoded for that (8k) and 12-bit affordable panels, I wouldn't worry about it.

Gaming can be especially challenging using the HDMI 2.1 options depending on what your source device is, the length of cable run, and the sink device. There are lots of folks who don't have any issues at all with the latest PS5's or RTX3080/3090 GPUs so hopefully you won't either. Test the cable thoroughly prior to installation!

If your run is going to be over 5m, then you really should consider a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro 8k, Gen-3/C). Is your existing cable in a conduit? If not, you will need to be very careful in fishing the cable, especially with an active cable. You DO NOT want to pull the cable from the connector end because you can damage the connector end and the chipsets inside and be especially careful fishing it around any bends. The conduit is important for the walls but if you have easy access to ceiling space, then you can just carefully lay the cable across there without using any conduit.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Apologies if this has been covered but I couldn’t find anything definitive' - keep in mind nothing is 'definitive' with this tech, the best you can do is recognise where the possible failure points in your system are.

Source > AVR > Display is not a consistent proposition as some AVR's will do a better job than others dealing with a 'long' HDMI cable run on the Output side, you may also have to factor in if you have a second display connected to the AVR as that can cause issues with EDID and HDCP with some combinations of kit.

Installed HDMI cable - if it is a passive cable it could surprise you! Do you know if it is a passive or active (the old designs had a 'bump' somewhere along the length of the cable with some active equaliser circuitry within the bump) if it is active it will be limited to 1080p.

The length of the AVR to Projector cable run is pretty crucial to determining what type of cable you should be considering.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom