Question HDMI cable for 1080, 10m

flashp

Established Member
Reaction score
Could somebody recommend a 10m cable that's certified/HDCP compliant that doesn't cost the earth?
I've been quoted £150'ish for a cable that's of a spec that's beyond what I need - 4K and optical etc.

If you can let us know your requirements then we can help spec it. 1080P only, 4k, video only or video and audio. What is it going from and what is it going to?

If its for 4K over 10m then RuiPro and the price is about right.

If you can let us know your requirements then we can help spec it. 1080P only, 4k, video only or video and audio. What is it going from and what is it going to?

If its for 4K over 10m then RuiPro and the price is about right.
Can do, 1080 only (as title) and no audio. From AV amp to projector. Thanks.

For 1080 only, then an active, copper-only cable should work for 30' (10m). A Premium High Speed cable would be your best bet but they are only certifiable up to 25' (8m), and active cables can't be certified by HDMI.org. If your cable is installed in a conduit, which it should be if not easily accessible, then if you have to try a couple of different cables, it's easier and safer to swap them out. No cable is guaranteed to work 100% of the time in all setups so it's still a little trial and error.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

You do not need to worry about using active cables for 1080p at that length, but active is highly recommended for full 4K over 8m. (I have been using the previous version of this cable at 10m for a number of years with no problems whatsoever)

Bill
Thanks Bill, this is ideal. I've ordered one :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Install - as Otto says aim to install the cable in a conduit or at least run a suitable pull wire to allow you to easily replace any failed, damaged or obsolete cable.

10m is beyond where any cable can be certified to be 'High Speed' so whilst an 8m version of the cable you link to may have been certified as High Speed the manufacturer is pushing the claims for a 10m version.

Try and test the cable for an hour or two before you install it.

Joe

Last edited:
Install - as Otto says aim to install the cable in a conduit or at least run a suitable pull wire to allow you to easily replace any failed, damaged or obsolete cable.

10m is beyond where any cable can be certified to be 'High Speed' so whilst an 8m version of the cable you link to may have been certified as High Speed the manufacturer is pushing the claims for a 10m version.

Try and test the cable for an hour or two before you install it.

Joe
Thanks Joe. In my case it'll be very accessible as the cable will be laid on the carpet between the projector and amplifier for now and disconnected when not in use. I shall remember this advice in case the installation becomes more permanent though.

If you scroll down the listing to the manufactures specs, it does say that for full fat 4K (18Gbs) only the 3m version complies, (So they are not hiding anything) however as the OP only requires 1080p Blue-ray (Which only requires a fraction of that bandwidth) the 10m cable will not even break into a sweat.

Bill

The page claims High Speed numerous times and if I scroll down the page it says:

Box Contains
KabelDirekt 10m HDMI Cable compatible with HDMI 2.0a/b, 2.0, 1.4a (Ultra HD, 4K, 3D, Full HD, 1080p, HDR, ARC, Highspeed with Ethernet) - TOP Series’.

As you say for lots of applications it will likely work fine at 1080p though always test any long cable before you install them.

Joe

Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here.

I'm installing a projector (not yet sure if it will be 1080p or 4kUHD) but want to have in place (as its an extension part built so can get cable in the ceiling) a cable this week to link AVR to projector. I need a 9m run, so guess I'm looking at a 10m HDMI cable. Become a bit confused as to whether it needs to be an active one based on the fact I may go with 4kUHD? Advice for a member who knows only what google has thrown up in various sources would be useful as the variance in HDMI prices across the spectrum is overwhelming.

Conduit - ideally whatever cabling you install is run within a conduit or at least ensure it is easily replaced should a cable fail, be damaged or become obsolete.

10m HDMI - you are into tricky territory in terms of trying to avoid some form of 'active' cable.

RuiPro4K Hybrid Fibre - is what we would supply and install at 10m.

Joe

I agree with Joe. At 10m, your best bet would be to install the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber for 4k HDR, which would also cover 1080 if that's all the OP currently has but plans on 4k HDR later on.

You do not need to worry about using active cables for 1080p at that length, but active is highly recommended for full 4K over 8m. (I have been using the previous version of this cable at 10m for a number of years with no problems whatsoever)

Bill

Just for the knowledge bank, I ordered the 15m version of that cable and it's been working a treat between my nice projector and video sources for over two years now. My application is also 1080p only and no audio. Tested against a short cable and no discernible difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom