• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

HDMI cable compatibility with Denon AVR-X1300W

griebs

Novice Member
I recently upgraded my receiver to accept 4k and decided on the x1300w. After Audyssey configuration I popped in disc 1 of the Planet Earth II UHD and waited.. an initial jittery hiccup of the menu music but OK, probably just a little lag with my JVC DLA-RS400U. But no image ever showed... just a blank screen. After disconnecting the HDMI out the audio hiccups disappeared.

I then removed the disc to check the menu to my Sony UBP-X800 but still no image. OK, switched to my import blu-ray player and no image either. The only thing that has changed in this once harmonious habitat is the receiver (recently purchased refurbished but with 3 year warranty). My old Yamaha RX-V377 never had an issue with my high speed 1.4 hdmi cable.

I guess what I'm wondering is if there be compatibility issues with certain receivers. I went through the HDMI setup in the Denon menu hoping there was some default setting to blame but no luck. Thoughts??

fxv300

Try connecting one of your devices directly to the JVC DLA-RS400U to see results.

griebs

Novice Member
So I was able to get my old Sammy import player to work. I then bypassed the receiver and sure enough, same issue. After changing the input to HDMI-2 on my JVC I set the EDID to B and the Sony menu finally appeared. Odd since the "B" setting is a lower transfer speed meant for older legacy devices even though my UBP-X800 is years newer than the Sammy.

Well, the image didn't exactly blow me away, but the audio isn't choppy anymore. I'll move the discussion elsewhere since my Denon has been cleared of all wrong-doings.

Thanks fxv300!

tony nevitt

The sound level has dropped considerably over the last day or so. volume 6 was plenty enough, now I have to have it on mid twenties to hear it, no idea what the problem is, I haven't done anything to the settings.

griebs

Novice Member
Problem was the cable. Apparently just the knowledge that both my player and projector were 4k caused the handshake issue. I tried a monoprice Cabernet CL2 at 30 ft and it did not work. However, their Certified passive cable at 3ft did the trick.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom