HDMI cable choice

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mgoode180566, May 5, 2007.

1. mgoode180566

mgoode180566
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am looking for a cable to connect my 5960 to LCD tv. I have seen some on ebay at a fiver. How do they compare to say a Belki at £40 for example ? Any advice appreciated, it would seem there is a huge price diff so would like an idea of performance.

Cheers

2. bumpymark

bumpymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    hi there
    i recently purchased a hitachi plasma screen to finish my home cinema setup and im currently using a hdmi cable i purchased from a local shop called boyes of which i paid £12 for! the length of this cable is 3mtrs and it appears just as well built as a major brand-indeed when i compared prices at a national retailer they wanted upwards of £110 for a 1 mtre hdmi cable so my advice is try a "cheapo cable" off ebay in fact you may find that most of these cables are made in the same factory and are just packaged for the different retailers-its called badge engineering

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    Over short lengths a £5 cable should be just as good as a £50, after all digital is 1's and 0's so either they get through or they dont.

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    That must have been from the....I Saw You Coming shop :rotfl:
    It can currently be seen every Monday night on BBC1.

Seriously though,i have never seen even the very expensive HDMI cables cost anything like this much for a 1m length. A person would need to completely brainwashed to pay that amount. :eek:

5. Freaky

Freaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive ALWAYS wondered that about cables, and scart leads etc, DO the more expensive ones REALLY make any diff at all.

Ive seen scart cables at £80 to £100, would these actually be any better than say a £10 one.

I need a very short HDMI cable myself soon for virgin media cable box, and this question was in my mind also.

6. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Its always worth spending more on a good quality Scart cable,because it can most definitely make a difference. Personally,i have always used QED Sqart cables,because i consider them to be one of the best on the market.
    You dont have to spend a fortune - even their top cable,the Silver Reference,can be bought for around £60 in a 3m length.

HDMI is different - anything 3m or under....in most cases,all things being equal,you should be perfectly ok with a cheap cable(ie. £10 or less for 1m),and will not see any advantage in spending much more. :)
    But,there are always exceptions to every rule.

7. kdog

kdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Ron240, :hiya:

What about over 3m? I'm looking to purchase a HDMi cable between 8 -10m depending on whats available. What would you recommend?

Cheers.

8. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I would not be able to recommend any cable specifically,but for an HDMI cable of this length,it is definitely worth paying extra for a good quality brand name. :)
    At his length though....will not be cheap.