• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HDMI cable and 4K

waer01

Novice Member
So I have Samsung uh43ku6670 4k hdr (2016 model) TV connected to new PC with Geforce GTX 1080 GTX via HDMI. I suspect hdmi cable issue since when going to display settings on win10 I can see only [email protected] 4k resolution. I figured my TV should support 60hz. Was reading somewhere that I need HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 in order to get 60 Mhz @ 4k resolution.

For example when playing games at 4k my eyes feel tired after a bit. And it is sad..:) Not sure if that is related to 30Hz or not but I do feel difference at least when resolution is changed to 1080 @ 60hz is not that sluggish..

Can anyone share opinions on this? Does HDMI 2.0 (2.1) cable has to be expensive or can I get away with some XO Platinum cable for 6£ ?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
HDMI cables don't have version numbers and HDMI.org do not allow advertising of such.

Those sellers quoting all that are breaking the rules.

There are 3 types of cable standard, high-speed and premium (with Ethernet added in for confusion but never used)

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

You just need a high-speed cable and you can a decent certified one for under a tenner from the usual places.

I figured my TV should support 60hz.

I think that's your mistake.

I had a look at the manual and it doesn't explicitly state as far as I can tell. 3D max refresh rate is 30fps.

The TV in this case tells the computer what resolutions it supports and so in turn Windows displays it. It has no way of knowing what the HDMI cable is and given the cable is passive no way of influencing the supported resolutions.

You can go into the NVidia Control panel and force a custom resolution and refresh rate which may work if the TV supports it otherwise you will get a blank TV.

Slow refresh rates are not good for the eyes on games.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
HDMI cable - as above unless you have long cables (8m+) stick with what you have, they will not be causing you any limitations or eye fatigue.

TV - if the Manual is not confirming what it will/won't support you could try a Utility such as Monitor Assets Manager to 'read' the TV's EDID.

EnTech Taiwan | Utilities | Monitor Asset Manager

Room - your viewing distance, ambient light level and screen brightness can all be factors with eye fatigue.

Joe

waer01

Novice Member
Thank you for the comments. But I was reading that 60hz means a lot especially if you are gaming. I suppose if I plan to game at 4k I should go and get Sony 4k as they claim to have a true 120hz refresh rate. But I definately saw something about HDMI only version 2.0 supporting 60hz..if it's old hdmi -> going to be only up to 30hz regardless of your TV model.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
60 FPS is a minimum for PC gaming in an ideal world and if you monitor supports and GPU powerful enough the higher the refresh rate. Often gamers will lock in a lower resolution at up to 200fps on some of the first person shooters, gives a whole load of enhancements but this is on dedicated monitors.

Your card even though it is close to top end may still struggle to give you full detail and 4k @60FPS.

Also PC gaming on a TV can have issues with input lag etc. Its worth looking for a review in terms of how quick it is with games and what the display lag is. Particularly important if you are playing high pace multiplayer games.

Version 2.0 of the HDMI standards support 4k @ 50/60fps amongst other things.

So your equipment has to have as a minimum have HDMI 2.0 ports and chipset to support it. Cables as mentioned previously don't have this requirement just the need for a High Speed cable. Length can be an issue but it won't change what is reported in the EDID.

The specs you linked to unless I have missed don't specify an exact refresh rate for 4k. Just that the TV supports 4K, has HDMI 2.0 and has a 60Hz refresh rate. They aren't all in the same sentence so you can't definitely tell from that. Samsung support if they are reading that can't claim from that information that it fully supports it (or not).

Use the tools Joe recommended to see what it states.

You can then always force the resolution. Right click on your desktop, click on Nvidia Control Panel. Under Display -> Change Resolution there is an option to customise which you can then add a custom resolution and put the parameters in as appropriate.

The 8bit is the colour depth of the pixel support of the monitor. So in your case can display 16.8million colours. Some of the more expensive panels are 10bit displaying more colours.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
But I definately saw something about HDMI only version 2.0 supporting 60hz..if it's old hdmi -> going to be only up to 30hz regardless of your TV model.

You did see that, but its talking about the chipsets.
HDMI 1.4 chipsets only did 4K at 30hz max.
The chipset is the actual microchip inside the TV or video card.

HDMI ver numbers have nothing to do with cables.
Cables can only be "Standard Speed" ! " High Speed" , or "Premium"
Anyone using HDMI ver numbers to describe/sell HDMI cables is commiting fraud.

If you only see 30hz as an option for resolution then its your hardware that is limited.
Only new hardware will fix that.
No cable will solve that issue for you.

waer01

Novice Member
Thank you guys for all the support, it was not the cable indeed. The TV does support 60Hz @ 4k. Just needed to change to HDMI 1 and follow these instructions : Setting button > Picture > Expert Settings > HDMI UHD Color > HDMI 1 > On. And then there was 60hz now available. I find some things difficult sometimes with Samsung TVs..

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom