HDMI Booster/Amplifier

Westovski

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help me.

I've been renovating my house, and whilst doing so I sunk a couple of HDMI cables into the wall and up to behind where the projector is.

They weren't particularly good quality cables i'm afraid, and whilst the projector does detect a signal when I have something plugged in over there, it doesn't display anything as such.

Realistically I'm not in a position to replace these cables now. Is there anyway I can use some kind of booster or amplifier to strengthen the signal over that run?

They're either 10/15m hdmi cables I can't remember.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks very much for your suggestion, but I really need a standard HDMI booster/amplifier recommending, I want to use the hdmi cables that are already there if possible.

Whether the HDMI booster/extenders will help depends on just how much signal has been lost over your cables as these devices are used at the display end to try and recover the signal and reset the timing etc (you cannot boost signals at the source with HDMI). There are also several different types of signal that are carried (audio, video, EDID & HDCP data etc) and you will get problems if any of these are missing at the receive end.

Maybe a chat witha Joe Fernand from The Media Factory (who distributes Octava HDMI equipment in the Uk) may help determine if such a device will help.

And although it does not help now, I would aways recommend testing any cable arrangement with your kit before it is installed to ensure it works before it gets plastered into the walls, and even then I would also add some cat5e/cat6 cables alongside as a backup in case the main cables cause problems or fail post-install.

You may want to try dropping down the resolution and see if that works so you can see if any signal can get through.

Hi,

Sorry for lack of initial info.

Yes the sources work fine on a short cable run. So it definitely appears to be the cables themselves at fault.

Also sources are PS3, BT Vision box, Laptop and Acer Emachines PC running openelec.

I've also got two cat5 cables buried and have tried using baluns but they appear to fail with projector (An optoma hd70) - i have had these working elsewhere in the house on longer runs of cat5.

Have you tried connecting to using a pair other Cat5/6 cables to the projector with the same extenders ?

That's tonight's test! :D

I do have a cat5e testers which show it's all fine, but i'm going to check that scenario later.

The tester you have will only probably show continuity ie that cables are connected, but not the performance of the cable.

Ah, wasn't aware of that, thanks, something to note.

Optoma's 'searching for a Source' onscreen message is etched into many an installers eyeballs!

How are you switching the Sources?

Joe

At the moment with the remote cycling through or clicking the button specifically, or with the controls on the proj itself.

It does actually pick a source up using both the HDMI cables and the baluns, but with the baluns the screen just goes purple, and with the hdmi cables it is black (IIRC) with lines down it. Doesn't show any actual pictures on either.

I'll take some pictures tonight.

What's the long term plan for Source Switching/Sound - is there not an AVR in the mix somewhere?

Joe

There will be - i'm sans Amp at the moment but i'll be investing in one shortly.

(Still catching up post-house renovation.)

We have a wonder product that we stock called the Kordz Neo S3. Essentially a pair of HDMI dongles on either end of the cable, it will convert any passive HDMI cable, up to 30m in to a fully compatible UHD 4K one. It's been described as magic by the guys in our office.

Kordz NEO S3 and Neolink Cable - 4K HDMI connectivity up to 30m

It is entirely a problem solving device to get you out of sticky situations like these. I'm sure that if you added these to either end of you HDMI Cable, you will get a positive result. If not, our compatibility guarantee will ensure that you can return the unit no questions asked. Oh, and as an AVForums member, did I mention that you will get 10% off too? ;)

That looks great, you may well have just secured yourself a buyer ;)

£330.00 to 'fix' a poor quality HDMI cable!

A sub £80 powered HDMI Extender as linked to earlier is just as likely to 'fix' the HDMI cable or assuming the CAT cables are wired correctly a dual or single CAT solution will also work and again be more cost effective.

What are you considering in terms of a New AVR.

Joe

And use the existing cable to pull the CAT cables through?

It does require an additional 12v to be injected but it won't just "fix" your problematic HDMI cable, it will turn it in to a cable capable of delivering above and beyond your current requirements. Absolutely, explore other cost-effective options, but if you are really stuck, this will see you good.

Take a look at this video to see how the product works. It's not your normal extender!

I thought it said £30 - i was on my phone and it was early. haha!

That's more than my actual projector cost! :D

I think it may actually be my projector that's at fault. It's pretty old now and i've read that the Optoma HD70 is notorious for issues with resolutions etc.

'I thought it said £30' :)

The Optoma can be fun at times though not impossible.

If the HDMI cable continues to be a problem a CAT Extender will do the trick.

Joe

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom