HDMI - Auto / Normal / Enhanced - whats the difference

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Have an Hitachi PJTX200 LCD projector

Under HDMI I have the above three settings - which of them should I use prior to calibrating (sources are a PS3 and a Toshiba HDA1)

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I think those are for video or PC signals. Video uses the range of 16 to 236 and PC uses 0 to 255. If you use an 8 bit video signal signal and expand it to PC values you may get banding.

If the overlay of a PC software player is outputting video levels then you should set it for normal. If it's PC then set it for enhanced. Auto may work but I would think the Toshiba would be giving normal video levels so you could try switching between normal and auto and see if there is a difference. Idealy you should set your white and black levels using a test disk like HD DVE.

I don't know for sure, but the PS3 may be sending full PC range so enhanced would be the setting for that, assuming I'm guessing correctly.

Gary

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I think those are for video or PC signals. Video uses the range of 16 to 236 and PC uses 0 to 255. If you use an 8 bit video signal signal and expand it to PC values you may get banding.

If the overlay of a PC software player is outputting video levels then you should set it for normal. If it's PC then set it for enhanced. Auto may work but I would think the Toshiba would be giving normal video levels so you could try switching between normal and auto and see if there is a difference. Idealy you should set your white and black levels using a test disk like HD DVE.

I don't know for sure, but the PS3 may be sending full PC range so enhanced would be the setting for that, assuming I'm guessing correctly.

Gary

Well I had a quick play just with the HDA1 this afternoon - only very quickly as I watched Blade Runner

On Enhanced the picture was much, much brighter, in fact it was almost washed out. Blacks where grey and the whole thing had a sort of strange light look about it

On Auto and Normal the blacks where back to being chrisp and black and the picture looked a lot better

Will try with the PS3 in morning

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom