Quantcast

HDMI Audio question outside of the FAQ

jelly_belly78

Standard Member
Right I'm confused about HDMI's audio and AV/AMP capabilies.

Im trying to figure if the below possible with any amp of around £150-£200. Below is a layout of the kit, on the left is what I plan to buy and on the right is the telly.

Can some one tell me of an AMP that is 5.1 or higher that will fit in the middle and deliver all I want over just one HDMI cable without needing to send audio back to the amp from the telly over a phono lead?

PS3 using HDMI-----------\
Nintendo WII Comp-------- AV/AMP via HDMI only------> Samsung LCD
SKY HD using HDMI--------/

I've already discounted the Sony STRK880 and the Yamaha RX-V363 after finding the below statement in the manual of the Yamaha and hearing on here of audio connection issues on the Sony.

"Audio signals input at the HDMI jack are not output from any speaker terminals but output from the connected video
monitor.
To enjoy the sound from speakers connected to this unit,
–make an analog or digital connection besides the HDMI connection.
–mute the volume of the connected video monitor."

Does anyone know if the Samsung AVR710 or the Yamaha RX-V461DAB, DSP-AX463 or DSP-AX563 suffer from the same?

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
A few will do the trick but you wont be getting HD audio though.

Another problem is the Wii, no amp can upconvert an analogue signal from the Wii to output through the HDMI. You can however use the component cables on the Wii into the TV for video and the 2 into the amp for stereo sound

It sounds like the amp is mainly just going to be used as an HDMI switcher.

Maybe the Onkyo SR506 will do the trick. If I remember correctly from the posts I have read it can process LPCM over HDMI so you can set the PS3 to Decode Dolby HD and DTS MA and send as LPCM over HDMI you will hear the HD sound.

But the Wii will have to go directly into the TV for the video.

jelly_belly78

Standard Member
Ok understood about the upscaling issue, is the amp you suggest capable of sending an S-video out too?

I already have an S-video lead chased into the wall so didn't really want more that one cable to the telly so I guess it will be S-video and an HDMI now for monitor use only.

Going back to the Sony STRK880 and the Yamaha RXV363 I don't understand why they made amps that couldn't split the audio from HDMI and push it out the amps speakers it doesnt make sense, but hey ho!

andyr300

umm,there are plenty of amps that will take the video signal from the wii and throw it out of the HDMI, id go with the onkyo 606.

dwhite

I agree with andyr300, there are plenty of amps that will take composite, svideo and component connections and convert (upconvert) them to output on the HDMI cable. Denon 1909, Onkyo 606, etc. The problem is the OP's budget of £150-£200 probaby excludes any amp with this feature.

jelly_belly78

Standard Member
Would the Onkyo TX-SR506 do the job, is it capable of upscaling from component sources to HDMI? I think it can do HDMI pass through.

The 606 is out side of the budget really. I can only really stretch maximum £250.

Sorreltiger

Novice Member
Don't forget that you also need an optical out from your Sky HD to the receiver in order to access Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

dwhite

Would the Onkyo TX-SR506 do the job, is it capable of upscaling from component sources to HDMI? I think it can do HDMI pass through.

The 606 is out side of the budget really. I can only really stretch maximum £250.
I'm afraid the 506 doesn't do upconversion (component inputs changed to HDMI output). This is the feature you seem to want, not upscaling.

Upscaling is different (changing the resolution e.g. 480p to 1080p) but the 506 doesn't do that either.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Time to save up a few more £££ to be brutally honest, unless you go second hand. The Onkyo 576 will process HDMI audio but has no upconversion. The Yamaha 763 was £299 at Richer Sounds and should do the trick.

jelly_belly78

Standard Member
Ok so if I up the budget to £300 are there any other amps that will do ALL the above, upconversion from component to HDMI and replay through the attached speakers the HDMI audio?

Apart from the Yamaha 763 that has been mentioned any other models or makes?

I had a look at the Onkyo TX-SR576 as stated above but that doesn't do the upconversion either. To me it seems nuts to make a receiver that 'supports HDMI' in part i.e. a pass through mode only or no upconversion from other sources seems a bit erm useless.