HDMI audio not supported

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ener1, Jun 12, 2005.

1. ener1

ener1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    This might be a dumb question, so forgive me.

I just purchased a Samsing DVD-HD850, im very pleased with it but when i play a DVD a message pops up saying: HDMI audio not supported. I assume that this is related to the disk and has nothing to do with the player itself?

Many thanks
    Ener1

2. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    So it's Nicht Vorsprung durch Technik then? :)

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I wouldn't worry too much as although HDMI is a great way of getting video from A to B, the audio implementation could have been done far better. Your SPDIF connection will do just fine :thumbsup:

4. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    About to purchase HD850, but not fully conversant with SPDIF. Could you please explain. New Samsung TV's appear only to have L & R phono audio inputs alongside the HDMI socket? Is this what you are suggesting should be used?

In any case shouldn't HDMI support multi channel digital audio?

Thanks

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    SPDIF is a digital audio output which uses a traditional phono connector in combination with a 75ohm phono to phono lead :smashin:

6. jrturbo

jrturbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

there is an option in the setup menu of digital sound output of the player, which will enable your tv to receive the sound output, the problem is that the sound signal then only becomes stereo, so uf you have you have dvd player connected to an AV amp you would loose the multichanel digital output via the digital outputs

hope this helps

regards

Joe

7. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for that. So as well as HDMI, I'm to use a pair of phonos for sound (which presumably, when connected, override the sound being carried by HDMI.

;)

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    SPDIF will be a single 75ohm phono lead normally colour coded orange. It would be interchangeable with a video phono lead colour coded yellow. However for short runs, because SPDIF is so robust, any audio or video phono lead will do.

9. msg

msg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Samsung LE-32R41B LCD doesn't have this interconnect adjacent to the HDMI (only 2 phonos).

10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Does it come with an optical connection for digital audio. It is usually one or both.

11. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In my case for pcm, setting audio is transmitted, but not bitstream

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    SPDIF Digital Audio gets sent down HDMI cables as does the Video. If your TV doesn't have 5.1 but just stereo, then the digital audio will get converted to stereo by the TV. There might be a virtual surround though.

On the other hand, if you have a surround amp and 5/6/7.1 speakers, you can connect the HDMI cable to the TV for video and run a single interconnect as described above from the DVD player to the Amp so that the amp receives the digital audio signal and decodes it into 5/6/7.1 surround sound.

Does the message pop up on the DVD player or the TV ?

Richie.

13. zoro

zoro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    TV!did not look at display!

I think I have my 59avi set to DD/DTS bitstream, and I do get sound through same TV with no sign poping!?

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I asume you want to know how to stop this annoying message?
    The only way I have found to stop it is to go into the the player menu every time I use it and turn off the on screen display.
    It does'nt remember that you have done this mind so you have to do it evry time you turn it on.
    This player annoys the crap out of me!

15. ener1

ener1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The message pops up on the TV when i start to run a DVD. I have set the 850 to bitstream. The TV is a brand new Toshiba 32WL56 and the AV receiver is a YAMAHA 750.

Its not that a big deal,the sound in 5-1 is excellent anyway and i really like this Samsung DVD player.

Many thanks for all the comments
    Ener1

16. patrick.d

patrick.d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased HD-850, seems great apart from the fact that HDMI doesnt appear to carry audio signal. I do get the 'HDMI audio not supported' which is annoying but not the end of the world. However, with my setup, I really do need the HDMI output to carry Audio and it doesnt seem to. Can anyone confirm this ? It may be something to do with my setup but before I rethink it all I would like to know if its worth the hassle ! Thanks, Patrick

17. ajackett

ajackett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are the main issues with this DVD Player?

With the 'HDMI audio' message that you mention is displayed, is this displayed when running through the DVI input on the TV? Also, when I have it connected through HDMI, will I be able to connect the digital sound through coaxial without losing any sound quality?

18. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    This message only appears when the disc is going through its menu cycles and stops once the film is actually playing so its not really a problem.

19. ajackett

ajackett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Neilios, that should be alright then.

I can run coaxial sound through my receiver, as well as the HDMI video at the same time right?

Also, I heard that when the player is turned off, it doesnt have memory function - ie. it forgets what part of the movie it is in, and plays from start. Is this the only problem with the players memory, or does it relate to all the settings of the player - I don't want to have to configure the player every time I turn it on/off.

Thanks, ajackett

20. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I was using the player with only the HDMI lead connected to my Samsung LE-26R41BD TV and the audio was fine albeit only stereo through the built-in speakers. The top two sound output options in the DVD player's Audio menu were both set to PCM. I didn't get any error messages about 'HDMI audio not supported'.

However, I decided to connect the DVD player to my DD5.1 surround sound system with a digital sound cable, changed the Audio setting to Bitstream and although DD5.1 worked fine I got the error message about HDMI audio not being supported. However, I got rid of it by changing the sound back to PCM and the Info button still shows DD5.1 sound. I presume that is OK?

21. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Just found out that you have to have DD5.1 sound set to Bitstream in the player's Audio menu otherwise it outputs Dolby ProLogic II only on my setup. It's the Bitstream setting that causes the 'HDMI audio is not supported' error message. Still it only appears onscreen for a few seconds so it's not too annoying at all.